gardeners world

• 13 Replies

rowlandwells

gardeners world
« on: October 07, 2017, 18:09 »
Friday night is gardeners world night for us but I'm afraid its getting a bit boring there's just not enough practical advise on veg and flower growing  :mad:

its just fortunate that I can seek sound advise from our members on this site that take there gardening with such passion and determination to help others its a pity gardeners world don't follow this pattern

gardeners world was always worth watching when the late great Geoff Hamilton presented it real down to earth hands on gardening advise together with money saving tips  ;)

now its all about   if you cant grow it buy it  from garden centres what ever happened to raise your own seed they only seem to pick on the easy peasy stuff I think I'm going to stick with the professionals on this site and probably find something more interesting to do on Friday night like washing the car :dry:

lettice

Re: gardeners world
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 10:08 »
That is why I enjoy and watch Beechgrove, its so enjoyable with such genuine, knowledgeable and friendly bunch of presenters.
They get the balance of veg, flower, garden design and the garden and community visits spot on for me.
Have also enjoyed when they have their question and answer sessions, with some humour added.

Gave up a few years back with Gardener's World and scruffbag Monty Don waddling around in his lake and all his pathetic named gardens, well fields and mini forests. He was the worst veg gardener for advice and had so many crops fail that I have ever seen on TV. Also I could not stand that woman they had down in Devon, forget her name.
Obviously it has not improved then.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 10:25 »
She is very exuberant, but I quite like that woman  Carol Klein   :dry:
IMO she knows more about flower and veg growing than Monty, who is strong on presentation and little else. Still nowadays GW does like things to look pretty rather than impart much knowledge  ::)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 13:04 »
I totally agree with the above comments re the content of the show and the balance.  It's as balanced as any BBC news programme which is to say, not.

They have started showing more veg growing, but it's still only about 10% of the programme.

I have to say that I just can't get into Beechgrove Garden though.  It's too slow.  Maybe I'll persevere with it but I really do think there's room for a dedicated veg growing show aimed at alotmenteers and not people with lawned gardens.

Maybe John and a few of the senior members on here should get together and pitch the bbc......  8)

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 12:35 »
I only got into gardening because of Geoff Hamilton. Now there was a man who got the balance right for both learners and those with more knowledge, and he didn'[t mind admitting his failures either.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 17:31 »
Perhaps one day they will start to show programmes from long ago. I used to like Geoffrey Smith's programmes.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 18:03 »
 couldn't agree more  Azubah with your replies good thinking batman  :)

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 22:25 »
Watched some of the early ones with Monty Don quite a few years back, they seemed a bit "strained". Then people started to "disappear" from the program.

May have just been myself buy Monty Don always seemed to turn over what I suspect was the last fork or spade of soil in what was an immaculately well dug and fine bed. Always appeared somewhat artifical and that he had been wheeled in to do his bit to camera.

It just never clicked with Monty Don doing it. Alan Titchmarsh was good. I get the idea that having a fair depth of training in horticulture makes it easy for someone like him to talk about things. Monty Don never gave that impression.

Have to say I have never watched the program now for a number of years. It has become one of those that when it appears I kind of automatically reach for the remote and search for an alternative. Very few, as in none, of the presenters seem to add anything significant. Certainly very little that I would consider to be practical gardening.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 17:50 »
Geoff Hamilton was the one who inspired me too, he often thought about peoples budgets and designed some small gardens which actually were. My pet hate is people who talk about things being suitable for small gardens when you would need half an acre.....

Christine

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 19:01 »
Half an acre is a small garden to some (thinks back to the farm garden of her youth).

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 19:18 »
This is true, but city dwellers can only dream!

Truffle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 18:02 »
I started watching when Alan T was at the helm as I love Alan and his no nonsense approach.

I also like GW when Toby buckland and co were presenting. Great for newbies and creating gardens in small spaces.

Really can't take to Monty at all, but still watch in the hope of gaining some knowledge. I say "watch" I tape the episode and fast forward anything that is not useful i.e the fillers and country park stuff. Generally turns a 1 hour program to a 15 min program.

BBC really need to give us a proper gardening program. I would really like them to repeat Carol Klein's veg series.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 18:38 »
I would really like them to repeat Carol Klein's veg series.

I think they are all available on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwrHqR5PkQU

Truffle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 09:58 »
Thanks mum,

Incase anyone else is interested:

Found episode 1 and 6 on youtube.
All episodes can be found on Dailymotion

xx
gardeners world

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post October 27, 2021, 19:17
by Growster...
xx
gardeners world lilies

Started by greenjay on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2020, 22:13
by greenjay
xx
Pennard Plants on Gardeners' World

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post June 14, 2019, 13:56
by theothermarg
xx
Monty Dom Gardeners World Allotment special 2016

Started by Veg Plot 1B on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post March 18, 2018, 18:34
by Veg Plot 1B

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 39 queries.