rotavated and ready to go

• 13 Replies

twysted1

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.bodymod.org/profiles/v2/profile.asp?Main=1&PF=7907
« on: April 21, 2006, 12:31 »
i have just got back from a week away helping my brother move into a new house. the first thing i did was go up to the plot and found to my great joy that the council had arranged and completed rotavation of all the newbies plots. i think my plot must have been done first because it has been done extremely well. the bits i have started have been left well alone. my strawberries are showing flowers, spuds are up and i have radishes, spring onions, baby carrots and salad leaf all up and there is enough corriander in the poly tunnel for plenty of currys, also on  my apple tree the buds are looking to be swelling and getting "furrier" i planted it a couple of weeks ago from bare root. yesterday i planted a bed of peas i cant wait to shell my own peas i doubt many of them will reach the flat. today i would like to dig another 5x2 meter bed ready for some beans and i'd like to plant some onions sets.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 13:01 »
Fantastic - sounds like you're going to have a great season :)

Keep us all posted.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

twhincup

• http://www.crazyhorsetrading.com
Re: rotavated and ready to go
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 22:11 »
Quote from: "twysted1"
there is enough corriander in the poly tunnel for plenty of currys

MMMM CORIANDER.  is it easy to grow? from seed or plant, any tips appreciated  :lol:

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 23:18 »
Always grow coriander from seed, never waste your money on those about-to-bolt things in tiny containers. I've found it a fairly easy plant to grow in pots but it does have a very short life so it's one of those crops you need to sow every fortnight to have a continuous supply.

Do you really grow it in a polytunnel,twysted? I never bothered with extra heat since it's a sort of cool weather crop (bolts quickly when its roots get too warm). My radishes came up then got eaten to stubs by slugs  :x I have bottle cloches over some of them along with the iron-based slug pellets. I hope it keeps the little slimeygoo-sters away. Did anyone see that there's a slug horror film coming out on the 28th?? I saw it as an advert on the side of a bus today. I think it's called Slither!
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 10:44 »
I think its a 'comedy' since Shaun of the Dead was such a success someone decided to copy David Cronenberg's Shivers. - He also made Videodrome,  The Fly, Scanners and many other films which I liked.

Unfortunately we don't like coriander - although I love Indian food - so I don't grow it.

Didn't you mention Daikon in a post Heather? Any tips as I didn't have much luck with it.

twysted1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 15:01 »
i only got my little poly tunnel a few weeks ago and corriander was just one i thought i would try. i also put a few of my chillie seedlings in there but the frost had them. this week i would really like to get a small herb patch ready this week. i also got my bean poles today and i think i should add a plug for wilkinsons for gardening stuff i think i have bought everything from there except compost.

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 21:18 »
i only got my little poly tunnel a few weeks ago and corriander was just one i thought i would try. i also put a few of my chillie seedlings in there but the frost had them. this week i would really like to get a small herb patch ready this week. i also got my bean poles today and i think i should add a plug for wilkinsons for gardening stuff i think i have bought everything from there except compost.

I agree with the plug to an extent but don't buy any root stock from there if you live in Luton, the shop is too dry and dries out all the plants. They are dead when you buy them.

Really good for seed trays, twine, trowels....anything like that.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 11:42 »
I bought a mictro irrigation kit off ebay for about 14.00 then noticed them in Wlkos for 7.99 - later in the year they were a quarter price.

Apparently Wickes have a good offer on multi-purpose compost at the moment - not sure about quality though.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 13:59 »
I usually buy my potting compost from B&Q as we don't have many places round here, their 150 litres bags are up from £5.99 to £6.98, but i noticed a woman the other day had some very large bags (could have been 150 litre, but maybe bit smaller and they were 2 for a tenner.  But I'd already got mine from a local farms hop and I got 300 litres for a tenner, that's not a bad price is it?  But I didn't notice, its peat based, from Ireland, so I feel a bit guilty now thinking I've just depleted Ireland of some more of its peat bogs!!!!

twysted1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 14:32 »
Quote from: "Jake"

I agree with the plug to an extent but don't buy any root stock from there if you live in Luton, the shop is too dry and dries out all the plants. They are dead when you buy them.

oh no don't say that i bought an apple tree from there a couple of weeks ago.

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 18:45 »
Quote from: "Jake"

oh no don't say that i bought an apple tree from there a couple of weeks ago.

Is it growing? Any leaves on it yet? I once go rhubarb from there, a couple of years ago and it just didn't do anything. I ended up getting some from my mums garden and thats doing well this year. I noticed the other day in Wilko that the Asparagus, Artichoke AND Rhubab were all really powdery. Its a good place for home brew kits and bottles and stuff though :D

Hope your Apple tree's ok.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 22:48 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
I usually buy my potting compost from B&Q as we don't have many places round here, their 150 litres bags are up from £5.99 to £6.98, but i noticed a woman the other day had some very large bags (could have been 150 litre, but maybe bit smaller and they were 2 for a tenner.  But I'd already got mine from a local farms hop and I got 300 litres for a tenner, that's not a bad price is it?  But I didn't notice, its peat based, from Ireland, so I feel a bit guilty now thinking I've just depleted Ireland of some more of its peat bogs!!!!

Whe the Irish get rid of their peat fired power stations, you can feel guilty!
I'm all in favour of being green but all this business about peat really gets me  when it's being used a fuel source.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 22:56 »
John, I'm currently waiting for my daikon seedlings to recover from their slug attack. They did seem to be getting nice, larger leaves on them the last time I checked. I might try sowing them again. I was googling for information some more and read in some places they're grown as an overwintering radish so I'll save some seeds back to try then in case it all goes pear-shaped with the current lot.
I've not done anything special for them. Just sowed them direct in the dug over/raked over bed with no special additives to the soil.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 23:22 »
The only instructions I had were 'March' written on the seed packet - unless anyone reads / translates Japanese?

question
ROTAVATED, WHAT DO I DO NOW?

Started by Hopelesscase on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 07:43
by Beetroot queen
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun
xx
OK I'm ready for them !!!!

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post May 22, 2015, 22:23
by Urbanite
xx
im ready

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 20:37
by Christine

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 38 queries.