Courgettes rotting (not unfertilised)

• 7 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Courgettes rotting (not unfertilised)
« on: August 23, 2010, 20:28 »
In the last week or two my courgettes have been growing to a decent size and then rotting from the tip back. It's that sort of rot where it's kind of grey and powdery, though the leaves look pretty healthy and green. What causes this?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Courgettes rotting (not unfertilised)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 20:38 »
botrytis....grey mould........perfect weather for it (and it got half of my tomatoes :mad: )

Some people like to pull the flower remnants off as soon as it has been pollinated, because that's where the rot seems to start :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 20:42 »
In the last week or two my courgettes have been growing to a decent size and then rotting from the tip back. It's that sort of rot where it's kind of grey and powdery, though the leaves look pretty healthy and green. What causes this?

Shokkyy: 1) how do you know they have been fertilised? 2) What do you mean by "decent size" and 3) The weather has been a lot wetter recently so they can rot off even if fertilised (usually starts from the flower end, especially if the flowers aren't removed after the fruit starts to swell.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 21:11 »

Shokkyy: 1) how do you know they have been fertilised? 2) What do you mean by "decent size" and 3) The weather has been a lot wetter recently so they can rot off even if fertilised (usually starts from the flower end, especially if the flowers aren't removed after the fruit starts to swell.)

Well, they're more than big enough to pick, sometimes verging on marrow size. I kind of like courgettes big enough to stuff so I do tend to leave them on the plant longer than a lot of people do. I do take the flowers off when they start to swell, and have been getting a good crop up to the last couple of weeks. It's just recently it's started to happen. And actually, it's also happened to one or two aubergines, now I come to think of it. So I guess it must be botrytis with all the wet weather. Is there any way to avoid that? When they're getting a daily drowning like they are at the moment, I'm loathe to put any more water on them, but if I don't water them once a week I can't feed them either.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 22:30 »
OK, so it's damage limitation mode in Swindon!

Don't add more water just because you think you have to keep feeding them! Mildew is pretty much a "given" on courgettes from about now onwards, botrytis is closely related and thrives when conditions are wet, humid, and air circulation is poor. Improve air circulation as much as possible by removing all old, dying leaves. Any fruits large enough to be sitting on the soil would benefit by having an old slate or similar slid underneath to keep them drier.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 23:02 by JayG »

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 23:00 »
botrytis....grey mould........perfect weather for it (and it got half of my tomatoes :mad: )

Some people like to pull the flower remnants off as soon as it has been pollinated, because that's where the rot seems to start :(

I think Ive got some of the rot you mention on some of my toms,, arghhhh. Guess they have to be all chucked away I take it.
Woooooooooooooo

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 23:03 »
OK, so it's damage limitation mode in Swindon!

Don't add more water just because you think you have to keep feeding them! Mildew is pretty much a "given" on courgettes from about now onwards, botrytis is closely related and thrives when conditions are wet, humid, and air circulation is poor. Improve air circulation as much as possible by removing all old, dying leaves. Any fruits large enough to be sitting on the soil would benefit by having an old slate or similar slid underneath to keep them dryer.

Okay, thanks for that, I'll stop the feeding, take the old leaves off and find something for the fruit to sit on. They are crammed in a bit close together so that probably isn't helping. Is it best to stop giving liquid feed to my toms, peppers and cukes as well? There's no sign of mould so far but cukes are pretty close to courgettes, aren't they, and if it can happen to aubergines I guess it can happen to peppers too. But the toms? The ones in pots and hanging baskets are going to start starving without feed, aren't they?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 23:07 »
Don't get too downhearted shokkyy! Just because your courgettes are suffering it doesn't mean everything else is going to go down the pan as well!  :)

xx
Rotting courgettes

Started by NoodleSoup on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 26, 2008, 13:38
by Miller
xx
Rotting Courgettes

Started by stwdv on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 20, 2018, 20:26
by goose
xx
Courgettes rotting at the tip

Started by thestens on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 12, 2012, 18:49
by Aunt Sally
xx
My courgettes are rotting on the plant

Started by Catherine on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 20:44
by pumpkin-queen

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 40 queries.