Runner beans

• 18 Replies

BigA

Runner beans
« on: October 18, 2006, 20:56 »
Its the first years I've grown runner beans and I had a reasonable healthy crop about a month ago.  Now there are lots of flowers being produced, but they drop (or get eaten) off before they turn into beans.

Has anyone experienced this - maybe its just too late in the season?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Runner beans
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 20:58 »
It is a bit late now BigA, most of us are digging up our bean plants now.  I had a few new flowers appear a few weeks ago, but they didn't come to anything!

Did you save any of the seeds for next year?

muntjac

Runner beans
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 21:02 »
If it was summer id say you had a lack of water problem ,but as nanna says it late now ,mine are already cleared away  :D
still alive /............

fatgit

Runner beans
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 22:09 »
I saved a load of seeds off mine this year, wrapped them in kitchen roll to dry them out and put them on the windowsill for a few days - and the missus threw them in the bin!

Anyway, as everyone else has said, my plants are now in the compost bin (also known as the "Fly Breeding Ground")
Organic where possible, unless it involves the snails that now seem to be eating the slug pellets for fun

BigA

Runner beans
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 22:48 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"

Did you save any of the seeds for next year?

Now that would have been a good idea.  I was too busy eating them :D

Looks like I'll have to visit the garden centre and get a packet.

Thanks for the advice on the lateness of the season.  October is pretty late, but the flowers look colourful!

GrannieAnnie

Runner beans
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 22:03 »
GARDEN CENTRE???????

Have you looked at www.alanromans.com yet?  50p a packet and until a couple of weeks ago it was free P&P if you spent a fiver, but they've had to put a bit on now, but I think it's only 80p or something.  I got 2 pakcets of cucmebers and a packet of aubergines from them and was very pleased with the results!

greenie

Runner beans
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 22:16 »
Oh thanks for that link grannieannie. Just checked them out. Can't believe how cheap they are. That aubergine bambino looks too cute for containers and they have hot peppers that are the same ones that T&M are selling at over £2. I wonder why such a discrepancy in pricing?

GrannieAnnie

Runner beans
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 22:19 »
I'm always on the lookout for value for money greenie, and that's why I like the swap shop, but the only thing I have to swap really are my tomato seeds and comfrey oh and some chillies!!!

BigA

Runner beans
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 08:18 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
GARDEN CENTRE???????

Have you looked at www.alanromans.com yet?  50p a packet and until a couple of weeks ago it was free P&P if you spent a fiver, but they've had to put a bit on now, but I think it's only 80p or something.  I got 2 pakcets of cucmebers and a packet of aubergines from them and was very pleased with the results!

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to get my next batch from alanromans (poor garden centre will miss out) :cry:

cornykev

Runner beans
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 21:48 »
Hi all        :shock:   I'm new to the site, big A my runner beans are still cropping but will be finnished by the weekend. My red flowers fell off in the heatwave but recovered, the weather cant make up its mind i  think the seasons are changing. Great find the cheap seeds annie i also love a bargain i spent a tenner. :roll:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU

cornykev

Runner beans
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 21:53 »
Forgot to ask  i saved some seeds for my runners, can i do the same with my dwarf beans ? i reckon muntjac knows this one.

muntjac

Runner beans
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 22:08 »
yeh mate you can , but id rather eat em as dried beans and buy some fresh stock next year . :wink: same with runner beans ,great in stews and there are more knowlegable folks on here than me mate could help ya with that one ,, :wink:  :D

GrannieAnnie

Runner beans
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 22:54 »
Now I'm the opposite, I'd rather save some runner beans for next year than put them in a stew.  I've loads of stuff I can put in a stew, but seeds cost money, which is something I'm awfully short of at the moment!

muntjac

Runner beans
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 23:01 »
cant argue with that nanna, :wink: if i have any left in spring i use them for new planting but i rather eat them

muntjac

Runner beans
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 23:01 »
cant argue with that nanna, :wink: if i have any left in spring i use them for new planting but i rather eat them

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans or french beans?

Started by rivkele on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 09:34
by rivkele

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 38 queries.