giant vegetables

• 23 Replies

sunflower_info

• http://www.gardenpics.com/photos/showgallery.php?ppuser=8770&cat=500
giant vegetables
« on: October 07, 2006, 08:13 »
Hi,

I'm new on this site.  I'm in the United States, but I find many of my seed sources in the UK for giant veggies.  Anyone out there interested in growing giant stuff?  Love to talk with anyone that is interested.  Here are a few pics of some of my plants.  I'm 6'3", in case you thought I was short.  

I have a whole gallery of pics at:
VIEW ALL MY GARDEN PICS

puravida

• Experienced Member
giant vegetables
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 09:31 »
blooming hell!
What on earth have you been feeding them? Bodybuilder's milkshakes?

Welcome to the forum by the way !!!  :D
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
giant vegetables
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 09:54 »
Looks more appropriate for the NVS web site  :)

Do they have vegetable shows in the US?  I know Medwyn Williams  (name drop alert) mentioned having been in the states lecturing.

Is the ruler by the beans in inches or centimetres?

Whereabouts in the US are you?What's your climate like?

What are the long cylindrical green things?

(oh, and welcome aboard! )
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
giant vegetables
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 10:35 »
hi nice to meet you ,god i thought my sunflowers were big at around 10ft,and ive never seen corn grown like that its like gullivers kingdom,well done my kids are well impressed

greenie

giant vegetables
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 11:09 »
WOW  :shock:  and a BIG  :wink:  HELLO. Well I've become interested in large heirloom tomatoes but I'm just a beginner so we'll see how it goes next year. I doubt I'll get anything like yours as I grow organically. What variety of sunflower is that?

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
giant vegetables
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 12:36 »
HI there and welcome :D Your garden looks lovely! And I too want to know what you feed your veggis on!!!!! Is the long green thing a courgette? (zucinni)
Happy Gardening

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
giant vegetables
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 21:23 »
Wow, Is that the mexican corn that grows 16ft tall then? Do you get any cobs (edible) off of them? I found seed for it over here in the UK but do the cobs really get 18inches long??  :lol: I'm seriously not sure if my corn wouldn't get blown over though.

For anyone wondering, I recognise the "ruler" in the picture as being a yard stick so that's inches not centimeters.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

greenie

giant vegetables
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 21:55 »
Hi Heather,

Where'd you find the seed for the giant Mexican corn?

Heather_S

giant vegetables
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 22:09 »
Jungleseeds: http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/SeedOrders/contents/en-uk/d42.html#p541
It's under "Children's Corner"  :lol: I've not ordered from them before but I've been eyeing up quite a few things from there. I'm quite liking banana plants, just for the joy of seeing how big they get and their giant seeds, and they have lots of different banana varieties listed.

sunflower_info

• http://www.gardenpics.com/photos/showgallery.php?ppuser=8770&cat=500
giant vegetables
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 02:30 »
What is the NVS site?

Believe it or not, the 20 ft. maize plant I didn't feed anything.  It was too much of a pain to get into the back of the garden with the hose to feed it.  Every year I do throw down cotton seed meal and kelp meal at the beginning of the spring though.  I didn't use manure for the past two years.  I just use grass clippings, shredded newspapers, pine needles, straw, and leaves that I throw in the garden during the late fall every year.  I don't want my garden too rich, or I would be breeding for plants that may only do well in the most rich soils.    

I'm in central New Jersey.   I believe my zone is considered 6b.  Jersey is a great place to live if you like gardening.  Jersey's name is actually "the garden state."   This year was a bit unusual, because we had some very hot weather this year, with many days going over a 100 degrees.  

The important thing is to find the best material out there that has the best chance genetically of getting that large.

Yes, it is a yardstick.  Everyone in the USA still uses inches, feet, miles, etc.  If we could get the rest of the world to do the same, we would.   :D

The very tall green thing next to me is a long gourd.  They can get much longer.   This year is my first attempt at growing a long gourd.  That long gourd was approximately 6 foot 3 inches tall, which is how tall I am.  I built a 17 foot tall trellis this year and grew the gourds up the trellis.

The one pic is of an english vegetable marrow.  It was over 30 pounds, but it should have been much bigger.  The person from the UK that gave me the seeds had it at 109 pounds.  I find that they don't do as well in my area as in the UK.  I think it much more humid where I am, and the summer temps probably get warmer.   They have a tendancy to rot on the vine where I am.

There are many types of corn that get large.  Most are from Mexico and Central America.  Mexican June White gets fairly large.  Generally, I find they get about 15-16 ft.   The type I grow is called Jala Valley Landrace Maize, and that is probably one of the tallest in the world.  I believe the current world record from Iowa in 1946 at 31 feet tall was from Jala.  I don't always get ears on my plants; especially the really tall ones.  Many of the plants are around 17-18 ft. tall, but I had one this year at 19 ft. and another at 20 ft.  I have another giant maize (still don't know the name of it) plant that is still in the growth phase, and may surpass all of them, depending on when we get frost.  The ears on Jala get about 2 ft., but the actual cobbs get about 18 inches long.  

In my opinion, the three best sunflower varieties in the world for height are:
'Bott's Strain' which were originally bred by Richard Bott in Michigan.

'Craven' sunflowers, which were bred by Norm Craven in Ontario, Canada.

Richard Hope's Giant Single sunflowers, which were bred by Richard Hope in the UK.  

All three sunflowers can get around 20 feet tall.  Although, I never seem to get them that tall.  I have a lot of problems in my area with these stem borers that do some serious damage to my sunflowers.  I have no pests with my corn; so you can see the difference.

Hope I didn't miss any questions!

hayles62

• Experienced Member
giant vegetables
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 07:37 »
What lovely pictures, don't feed that little baby on whatever you use or you will have another giant on your hands :lol:

Heather_S

giant vegetables
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 09:56 »
NVS = National Vegetable Society (in the UK)
That's interesting about the feeding. Thats mostly "browns" in composting terms so you'd think it'd be a bit unbalanced without some "greens" but whatever you're doing looks like it works well :lol:

There's no "zones" in the UK. We can guess at equivelants for our areas occasionally but the UK isn't very big and there's lots of little regional differences. It's generally a temperate climate (not normally getting to 100F though it appears more common in recent years, not normally getting sub-freezing/sub 32F in winter in most of the south of England. Scotland's a different matter  :wink: ) It's quite nice not having huge piles of snow to shovel!

That's a very odd looking marrow. I'm used to seeing the large ones that are stripey(light green and dark green) and don't have such bumpy skin.

So how does the giant corn taste when you do get cobs? I get suspicious of seed catalogues saying "edible" and not "tasty" or similar words  :D

(ppst don't say "Jersey" it gets confusing for the Brits as there is a British Channel Island called Jersey ;) )

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
giant vegetables
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 11:49 »
Well the NVS can be found at National Vegetable Society They have a brilliant web site that is very well designed (OK - I admit I did it - but there are some good articles on there)

As for New Jersey - I thought it was an urban area near New York!! I really should try and get my US geography from something else than cop shows on the TV.

There's always a bit of a problem when you grow varieties in different countries because they are selected for the conditions in their home place. One of the biggest shames was the EU regs that were brought in on seeds. The idea was to stop 1 variety being sold under multiple names but it resulted in the loss of variants on a theme - not distinct enough for the EU but still some difference.

Reducing genetic diversity is always dangerous (Irish potato famine being the textbook example)

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
giant vegetables
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 20:35 »
Hi sunflower_info, i was impressed when i saw your photo's on allotments 4 all and i am still impressed :shock:

noshed

giant vegetables
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 20:44 »
So do you bump into Tony Soprano much?
(Thanks for the info about your garden - very interesting. Most of the people on our site are obsessed with growing giant pumkins - a bad year this year, too dry.)
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Giant vegetables

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 17:31
by ruffmesiter_69
xx
giant tea bag

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 16:25
by aelf
xx
GIANT VEG

Started by mollski on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 18:07
by mr Isaccs
xx
Giant pumpkin help

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2015, 22:58
by boddy

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 36 queries.