Spot on treatment.

• 6 Replies

Lardman

Spot on treatment.
« on: May 17, 2016, 22:46 »
I went to pick Max's stronghold up today, like I have done once a quarter for the past 2 years from the same vets as always and the same vets I take him to when he has a problem.  They had sent me me a reminded last week to drop in and pick some up - I get there only to be told I couldn't buy any  :ohmy:

Apparently as it's a prescription item I can't have it without him have a consultation  :mad: (with the associated charge) and they shouldn't have been selling it to me previously.  It's bad enough they charge 3 times the going rate for it, but to also insist on a consult every time, that's going to make it nearly £400 for flea prevention each year :mad:  :mad: If they didn't know me from Adam I could understand it but they're his regular vets.

Im going to just get the prescription and buy online (I'll go elsewhere in future - out of principal) but is there a maximum amount they can prescribe ? Im guessing I'll end up paying £20-30 for it, so I'd like it to be for as much as I can get and not just the 3 tubes.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Spot on treatment.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 08:10 »
just checked online and cant find out the maximum but they can legally prescribe 6 months at a time. But you also might be better off with advocate which is not only a flea treatment but also treats worms and mange. You can buy a box of 6 from here.
They do stock for different weight dogs if the one I have highlighted isn't the correct weight of yours.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:15 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 10:50 »
Thanks Joyfull - The stronghold is basically the same as advocate general antiparasitic I think I recall it does 1 less worm type. Max doesn't like it though as it has a strong almond smell  ::)

Have you used that company before? 

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 15:57 »
I buy Broadline for the kitties, as it does all worms and fleas (used to hate worming pill day) and doesn't smell of anything (they barely notice it going on).  I usually ask for a prescription when they have their jabs, as my vet will only prescribe for the number of months between jabs/checkups, and it costs £20 per prescription.  I just get one and share it between them.

There are various online chemists who will supply on prescription (email/fax/post) and I shop around.  Once they receive it, I can order the whole year's worth or in smaller amounts.  Saves me a fortune! :-)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 22:35 »
4 minute consultation (I timed it). Total cost £42, wish I could charge £630 p/h.  :mad:

Kate58

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:14 »
And I thought our vet's consultations were expensive at £22 a time!  I asked for a prescription last year so I could buy treatment online and they charged £11 for it - we didn't need a consultation for this as our dog had been prescribed for the product previously by them.  Even with this charge it worked out far cheaper than the price the vet was selling the product at.  I also bought some Flubenvet 1% last year from the vet as I couldn't get it online and later found that it was nearly out of date.  Maybe stock from online stores is fresher as they probably get a higher turnover.

Trikidiki

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 10:18 »
We use over the counter products like Advocate unless we get a problem then we will switch to the Frontline Extra or Stronghold. We find that they only seem to need the 'more powerful' treatment sometimes in the summer. We then buy online with a paid for prescription from the vet. They ask to see them if they have not been seen in the previous 24 (I think) months. They weigh them to ensure they are getting the right dose size but do not charge, it is normally done by one of the nurses.

If you have another local vet I would ask them if they charge, they may do for the first time if they do not know the dog. If they don't charge go back and tell your vet you are considering changing due to their extortionate charges. Alternatively take a short holiday in France as I think you can buy it over the counter there.

xx
Spot-on cat wormer v spot-on combined wormer and flea treatment

Started by Goosegirl on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post March 13, 2015, 12:33
by grendel
xx
Best spot-on cat wormer

Started by Goosegirl on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2014, 14:44
by maxyboo
xx
Recall Dog Flea treatment... Fatal

Started by grinling on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post November 16, 2016, 14:21
by mumofstig
xx
Cat flea treatment...fatal Recall product

Started by grinling on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post November 16, 2016, 17:04
by madcat

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 35 queries.