rat/mouse poison

• 10 Replies

pepsi100

rat/mouse poison
« on: April 19, 2015, 18:29 »
If a rat or mouse eats poison then eats chicken pellets does the chicken pellets act as an antidote ?

Just interested in anything can counteract rat/mouse poison
It's all about the journey, not the destination

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: rat/mouse poison
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 19:32 »
I think the only antidote is vitamin K, so I don't think so.  If they ate only part of the bait, then lots of pellets, it might weaken the dose, so the poison doesn't work  :unsure:

You still having problems Pepsi?  We have had a rat in our garden recently as our new neighbour has started work renovating the house and garden.  The old one threw handfulls of bird feed everywhere, so had rats under the shed, but the easy living is over. The new neighbour had poison down after finding holes in the shed floor, but obviously this one obviously just upped and left  ::)

We found Tomcat at our local CountryWide store, so now have a bait box with that in.  I lured the rat in with peanut butter, which it ate, so now it has peanut butter smeared bait to have a go at.  Not seen it for a couple of days, so fingers crossed  :)

pepsi100

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 20:28 »
No, I hope my rat problem has now gone

Its just I heard of an owl that had eaten a poisoned mouse, of course the mouse was dead, not sure how the owl got it, the owl was nearly dead when found, a poisoned mouse was found nearby

(I thought they went off and died <the mouse>)

I never found any bodies of the rats I had poisoned, I think they died under the shed

I did make sure nothing could get to the poison I put down (and the cats round here showed no interest in catching them)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 20:34 by pepsi100 »

Sparkyrog

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 21:25 »
Not many Cat's brave enough to stand up to a *****d off Rat  :lol:
I cook therefore I grow

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 21:50 »
One of my dogs caught and ate a rat that must have eaten poison, she had to be rushed to the vets at 11pm at night and it was touch and go if she would survive. 4 big injections of vitamin K and then a 10 days supply of vitamin K, had she been a small dog or other animal (she is a Newfoundland weighing 45kg) the outcome would not have been so good.
Another thing you need to know is if the poison is a first or second generation poison, in our case it was a first generation so treatment was easier. Second is a lot harder because it's stronger.
Staffies are softer than you think.

pepsi100

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 22:22 »
Ah, so I guess the owl would have had no chance then ?

I dont know what generation poison it was

The owl was found by a woman, she bought it in, put it on towels, called a vet, but the owl died before the vet got there I think

Never heard of a dog eating dead rats,not even sure about foxes eating them either

I think between the foxes and cats, they both prefer raking out the bins and black bags  :(

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 22:47 »
Dogs and foxes will eat really ripe carrion with aparrant relish so any poisoned rodent will not last long.

Another thing to think about is the rodents that die underground are liable to be eaten by maggots or beetle larvae who in turn may be eaten by birds.
While one poison tainted maggot would probably do little harm to a hen a few eaten by something the size of a Blue tit could be fatal.

Poisons building up in tolerant rats can still be toxic to other non tolerant animals.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 13:17 »
The squirrels have been raiding our rat bait boxes but we've not seen any sick squirrels or a reduction in their numbers. Are they immune to the poison? we had a big rat problem and have bait boxes down everywhere in the garden. Fortunately they seem to have diminished and we haven't seen any lately, but the bait is still going missing even in places the squirrels can't get to so they must still be about.

LotuSeed

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 16:54 »
Ah, so I guess the owl would have had no chance then ?

I dont know what generation poison it was

The owl was found by a woman, she bought it in, put it on towels, called a vet, but the owl died before the vet got there I think

Never heard of a dog eating dead rats,not even sure about foxes eating them either

I think between the foxes and cats, they both prefer raking out the bins and black bags  :(

Owls are nocturnal hunters, while other raptors like Falcons and Hawks hunt during the day. If the poisoned rats are moving around at night, the Owls would be at a greater risk of catching and eating a poisoned rat or mouse. If the rats move about during the day, well then any raptor that's hunting in the area is at risk :(.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 13:57 »
the rat our dog ate was either still alive when she caught it or very recently dead - the entrails we caught her finishing off were very bright in colour. We had thought it was a rabbit but when she showed signs of having blood in her saliva we realised it wasn't the case - no dogs, cats, chickens or rabbits could get to the bait stations. The blood tests and the clotting tests confirmed the rat poison.

pepsi100

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 14:33 »
I havent got a cat or dog, but when I put poison out, no other animal can get to them I dont think they can see it either, as for the rats or mice, I can only assume they went bak to their lair to die, because I have never found any bodies

As for the owl's death, it was sent to me in a news clipping, I have no idea where or when it was found

I have never seen or heard of a owl around here, but we have plenty of magpies and crows, well not so many magpies now, I think the crows have driven them off, we have sparrows back though, been a long time since they have been in the garden

The robin is still a regular visitor though, he competes with the squirrel for peanuts :-)

xx
rat poison

Started by upthetump on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 20:24
by wighty
xx
ivy poison or not ?

Started by coopready on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 21:01
by nicchick
xx
Name that poison

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2017, 20:04
by Flowerpower136
xx
Best, most toxic rat poison

Started by Chookiechook on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 13:50
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 40 queries.