watering newly planted seeds

• 6 Replies

simbamara

• Experienced Member
watering newly planted seeds
« on: June 19, 2017, 16:32 »
Hello friends
I have two questions:
1.Is it entirely necessary that ground I plant seeds in my allotment must be wet BEFORE planting the seeds or can I plant the seeds & then water over ?
2.In very warm weather , how often should I water the news seeded beds ?
Thanks

snowdrops

Re: watering newly planted seeds
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 17:18 »
If it's dry I usually water the drill I've just made, sow the seeds then cover with dry soil, I don't usually water until I see the seedlings. It's best to water really well now & again rather than a sprinkle every day, that way the plants develop long roots to find water as opposed to shallow roots near the surface waiting for those everyday sprinkles - that then leads to the plants wilting on the hot day you can't get there.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 17:21 »
Thanks , I just planted the seeds day before yesterday & watered AFTER planting ! Need I make any amendments ?
What about seeds planted in Germinating trays ? How frequently should they be watered ?
Thanks
Simba

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 18:02 »
As Snowdrops has said, watering before sowing makes sure you've got a reservoir of water under the seeds, but as long as you don't let the drill dry out they'll be fine. Best not to pour huge amounts of water onto a newly-sown seed bed or when the seedlings first emerge, but give them a really good water when they look strong enough to cope with the deluge (although in practice most seedlings will stand back up even if flattened - Nature has a habit of doing that anyway.)

As for seed trays, frequency of watering mainly depends on the temperature they're subjected to - the aim is simply to keep the compost moist rather than soggy to avoid potential problems.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 18:05 »
I also always make a drill and then water it thoroughly before sowing the seeds, covering afterwards with dry soil.  The dry soil on top seems to act as a barrier to prevent the water in the drill from evaporating too quickly.I don't know if it makes any difference what type of soil you have, but this method always works best for me.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 08:31 »
As with others I water the drill. The exact method for small seeds. Make a drill furrow with a rake handle. Without a rose pour plenty of water along the furrow. Let it drain for a few minutes. Sow the seeds. Cover with dry soil. Tamp down with the back of a rake head. This ensures that the seeds are in good contact with the damp soil. Water again with a fine rose once the first seedlings emerge.

With the weather so warm I would put off sowing anything until it is cooler. Lettuce especially do not germinate when it is hot.

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 12:02 »
Salmo
Thanks
So there is no need to water after the initial seeding watering until the seedlings emerge ?
What about in containers & germinating trees at home ?
Thanks

xx
Newly planted Rasperries?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 08:04
by Cavolo Nero
xx
Newly planted leeks

Started by starmoonlilly on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 13:31
by starmoonlilly
xx
newly planted asparagus curving over

Started by PennyS on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 12:43
by PennyS
xx
I have just planted my newly arrived strawberry plants......

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2009, 22:16
by chili

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 39 queries.