Prepping for chickens

• 10 Replies

CatsGarden

Prepping for chickens
« on: May 08, 2013, 19:19 »
Hi

I've just got my first ever allotment and want chickens so am getting sorted for some chooks but don't want to just rush in and regret it later.

I have been reading several books on chicken care but my head is spinning due to the information so I thought maybe put the plan here (based on what I've read in the books) and see if I *have* understood correctly...

First of all I am thinking about getting 4 hens to begin with as I have very little experience with hens beyond what I covered in the livestock portion of BTEC Nat Cert in Animal Management - I have practical experience in catching, health checking and wing clipping a fairly docile hen.

Was thinking 1 each of

Gingernut Ranger

Light Sussex

Pied Suffolk

Rhode Rock/Black Rock

so I can easily tell them apart at quick glance until I start learning more about them I can get easily confused

the coop will be raised with attached run of 6ftx6ftx4ft fully roofed (foxes common around here)

Was thinking about doing the base under the entire coop/run in grooved concrete as the allotment is on a slope to make sure the pen doesn't end up being a quagmire, then based on the info in the books put a bed of wood chips on top for them to scratch about in so they aren't on the concrete itself.

This is so a) they don't end up living in a marsh/waterfall whenever it rains excessively b) I don't need to worry about the soil getting 'hen sick' - it all just gets swept up and composted/bonfire fuel after a few weeks and fresh down c) no chance of foxes digging in

They are going to get to free range within the entire allotment whenever me or mum are down there so will get to scratch about in the soil, forage the grassy areas and among the established plants - any delicate plants will be netted off.

How does that sound? will be several weeks before I'm actually getting them yet with the other work that needs doing on the allotment but I want to be prepared.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Prepping for chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 19:48 »
Hi CatsGarden and welcome to the site.

If you are after 4 different types of hen does that mean you will get them from different suppliers?  This could be a problem as you would be best to quarantine them in case of any disease or pests they may have.  If you can get them all from one supplier it would be better. 

The coop and run size you have put would not be suitable for 4 birds to be left in for any length of time.  You would probably end up with them attacking each other due to the lack of space.  It would get dirty very quickly and drinkers/feeders would probably get knocked over or soiled in.  Better to go for as big a run as you can if they are in there for most of the day.

If you do have a concrete base I would go for a smooth finish which is easier to clean.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

CatsGarden

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 20:04 »
thanks for the reply :)

they are all from the same supplier - Durham Hens - and was looking at them as all about same size and temperaments apparently and all supposed to be friendly, hardy, reasonably docile

they would be free range for most of the day since me and mum would be back and forth (allotment is about 2-3 min walk from back door...) but how big a run would you say would be needed for the four of them? we have the space to give them 6ft x 10ft x 15ft without needing to terrace anything else

oh and the grooves - would only be a groove every foot or so not lots of them - to allow the water to flow downhill easily but thinking about it would be more sensible to put gutter around the run and down ends so no flow over run at all

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 20:55 »
I have all of those hybrids and they are all fab hens, Lovely, friendly, chatty and good layers to boot.
The run size of 6ft x 10ft x 15ft is perfect for four hens that get the chance to free range some of the time too. A concrete base is also a great idea, easy to keep clean and great for keeping foxes out.  :)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 20:57 by JaK »

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 09:22 »
Yes that is a better size run for them.  The guttering is a good idea.  If you put a gulley at the lowest end of the concrete base it is good for hosing down.  All the bits collect in the gulley to be scooped out.  I bought a bantam from the Durham area from a breeder.  If you consider bantams I would recommend getting them from him.  Very knowledgeable and loves his birds.   :)

CatsGarden

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 23:13 »
thanks for the help :)

have started putting the hard core down today for the run :) getting so very excited

getting the wood together ready to built the coop - but am confused, going through the books I have etc and looking at commercially available coops - how big should I make the house for 4 birds of medium/large size? and am I ok to make it too big so I can add a couple more birds later or should I give new birds a second house? (permanently not just during intros) ideally I want eventually 6-8 hens in permanent residence and raise occasional clutches of chicks for table weight (buying in fertilized eggs)

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 23:30 »
I have an eglu cube suitable for 10 hens and only 4 in at the moment.  Better too much room than too little.  My first wooden coop was around 3ft x 3ft and housed up to 8 hens.

Best to keep chicks/table birds separate as they need chick crumb then growers pellets to put weight on.

CatsGarden

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 00:28 »
thanks again :) so will work on 3ft x 3ft for now

I assumed the chicks would need their own run/coop once hatched, however they are next year after I have a clue what I'm doing lol

now to get the designs drawn up to scale ready for my brother and his tools :tongue2:

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 08:16 »
I had my broody coop designed so that I could make it an extension of the main one when not needing it for broodies. Just a thought :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

CatsGarden

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 11:59 »
hi again

another question - sorry I really am clueless!

I have 2 springer spaniels and will be having them at the allotment on a regular basis... we have already decided we are putting a dog run in as we don't want them 'helping'/chewing on plants/digging/peeing or pooping among plants so they will be restricted in their movement... but as the allotment matures I would like them to be able to follow me around more - especially Biggles as he is my assistance dog and with me pretty much all the time

however they will be able to see/smell obviously and how do I teach them that chickens are not toys/food?

today they could see next door's chooks through the fence and although there was a lot of interest and Charlie especially was very excited, crying and bouncing, at one point managed to paw the fence.

we have cats and we know that Charlie loves smaller animals but on the other hand he has killed rats, a duckling in the wild and a pigeon but with the hens today his body language was like with my cats - playful and curious not hunting - thankfully

I don't want the dogs and chooks to integrate but I do want to get the dogs calm around them and ideally be confident that I'm not gonna have feathers flying the instant they end up mingling if an accident happened.

Do I simply do intros one dog at a time on lead around the chooks run and treat them when relaxed/ignoring the birds and build up time/reduce supervision (ie dog in pen not on lead) and then have both dogs etc

sheridan

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 18:55 »
I have a 9 month old Cocker / lab cross, and he was initially desperate to flush the chooks out. He will still go round the chook area and sniff a lot, but he no longer barks or tries to rout them. I did this by a combination of distraction ( calling him and giving him bits of ham) and judicious rolled up newspaper waving when that didn't work. I don't think you can ever trust any type of spaniel completely though, tbh, it's just too inveterate in them to flush birds out! So I keep a weather eye. It didn't take long for the chickens to realise that the fence was inviolable though, they quite enjoy strutting up and down in front of him.

xx
Whats this method called? Prepping/skinning chicken for breast and leg

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 12:19
by ANHBUC
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 38 queries.