Briggs & Stratton engine.

• 1 Replies

Plot46

Briggs & Stratton engine.
« on: June 04, 2015, 05:54 »
I already have a 3hp Merry Tiller up the allotment...getting a bit long in the tooth..so seeing this larger 5hp Super Major with a load of kit with it I bid and won. We all know we take a risk when buying as seen...but this is a tidy machine...it turns over smooth...compression is good, even as clean oil.

I collected it yesterday..what I want to do is tidy her up, make sure she's in good condition, when I got it home I took the plug out and tried for a spark...no go. I took the starter pull off which lets you get to the mag...and found this...

Now I think that this lead goes here...the size looks right for the bolt on the mag....am I right?? I've looked on the makers site where there are wiring diagrams by the 10000's trying to find the correct one is like the needle in a haystack.

I tried again still no go...the mag maybe knackered?? but there cheap if she needs one...so it looks like the flywheel has to come off also to get at the points to check them.  :-\
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
Re: Briggs & Stratton engine.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 11:27 »
Yes, it is the earth lead for the magneto windings. If someone has been playing with the mag, it must have had a fault prior to them taking the lead off. Clean the points and check the little plastic pushrod that opens them is moving. The points are 0.020" and the flywheel magnet to magneto armature gap is 0.010" to 0.014". I use a Titan of that AC34** model range for sickle mowing, a great machine, but tried to rotavate an overgrown flower bed with it and it is a bit numb and heavy for that sort of work.
R Tallentire

xx
briggs and stratton 5 hp engine

Started by HINDAVE on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2017, 15:48
by Blewit
xx
briggs & stratton 5 hp engine

Started by brytheold on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2014, 12:28
by grendel
xx
I need some help please people with a briggs and stratton engine

Started by ryrys on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 17:29
by Gwiz
xx
Engine problems on Briggs and Stratton

Started by Andrew Burrow on Equipment Shed

20 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 17:34
by Andrew Burrow

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 38 queries.