Un-answerable questions (add your own please)...

• 76 Replies

Growster...

Re: Un-answerable questions (add your own please)...
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 12:20 »
......I believe this to be the law when a) I drop something covered with butter and it always lands butter side down).......

That comes from buttering the wrong side!

Best to butter the edges, that way it gets mucked up both sides...

hamstergbert

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 13:35 »
...or spend the extra investing in stunt toast which lands balanced on one corner.....
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Goosegirl

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 14:48 »
So just how big is the universe?
Often pondered this question ???
DON'T DO IT! You'll give yourself a mega-headache because your brain keeps putting up some sort of barrier but - there isn't one, so you keep on going until you can't stand it anymore.
Maybe buttered toast landing buttered-side down is to do with physics because the buttery side is heavier than the un-buttered one especially if it has chunky marmalade on top! 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 14:53 by Goosegirl »
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 14:58 »

It's big.....very big  :lol:

No doubt you've looked at plenty of these:
How big is the universe ... compared with a grain of sand? - YouTube

Once you've done with that, try frying your brain with Graham's Number  :lol: :lol:

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/11/1000000-grahams-number.html

Who is Banksy?
Why do I have so many left hand gardening gloves, and so few right hand?
When is the fox going to bring my shoe back?

Br.

al78

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 15:53 »
… and here's me thinking it was due to copper sulphate - ha! :lol:
My questions are:-
1) Why does green soap have white bubbles? This is a genuine question from a youngster which has always stayed in my mind.
2) Why do unexpected visitors always come when everywhere is in a total mess?
3) Why is it that a particular item you've seen about for ages suddenly disappears just when you want it?
4) Why are the majority of Sunday evenings always sunny?
5) Why are there major road and rail works done at the busiest times of the year?

2. Murphys law.
3. Murphys law. Same reason why you can only find something you were looking for a week ago, but don't need now.
4. More likely to be perception than reality.
5. Rail engineering work is done at the quietest times on the rail network. It happens that the quietest times are the bank holiday periods, so those of us with a job who use the bank holidays for long distance travel are more likely to have to deal with the rail replacement buses. As far as road works are concerned, sometimes it is unavoidable. The smart motorway upgrade on the M6 for example is taking years, difficult to avoid any busy travel period in that case.

I would like to know why, in the last two years, there has been a significant increase in roadworks on the routes that I use. In 2017, I had to deal with 25 different sets of roadworks, the longest lasting over a month. This year started of with two months of road works at the end of my road, which at its peak, meant I couldn't exit my village to the south west, and now I am dealing with another set of roadworks which is taking two and a half months to do what looks like resurfacing a few hundred metres of pavement. It is not just why there are so many roadworks, it is why they (and most things) in the SE seem to take so flaming long, it is like living in the European capital of slowness. To add extra irritation, only one of the sets roadworks that have affected me have done anything about sorting out the worst of the road surfaces, and that wasn't even the worst road they could have resurfaced.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 17:27 »

It's big.....very big  :lol:

No doubt you've looked at plenty of these:
How big is the universe ... compared with a grain of sand? - YouTube

Once you've done with that, try frying your brain with Graham's Number  :lol: :lol:

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/11/1000000-grahams-number.html

Who is Banksy?
Why do I have so many left hand gardening gloves, and so few right hand?
When is the fox going to bring my shoe back?

Br.

Oh yes and still cant get the answer?

Blackpool Rocket??? is there a link to our town here in the tropics of North West Engerland? (should be an answer to that one)

Why do restuarants never have a left handed fish knife yet have fish on their menu's?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 19:26 »
Why whenever I wash my black and dark grey towels is there always a tissue in the drum from somewhere, to leave 'bits' all over them.  >:(

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 19:35 »

Blackpool Rocket??? is there a link to our town here in the tropics of North West Engerland? (should be an answer to that one)

Yes there is.............can you guess what it might be though :lol: :lol:

Did you peruse Graham's Number.........sizzle..... :lol: :lol:

wighty

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 19:45 »
I thought the answer to the question was answered in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy although Paul and I now can't remember the answer! We can't agree whether it was 7 or 47.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 20:06 »
I thought the answer to the question was answered in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy although Paul and I now can't remember the answer! We can't agree whether it was 7 or 47.

Many theories were proposed, including that 42 is 101010 in binary code, that light refracts off water by 42 degrees to create a rainbow, that light requires 10−42 seconds to cross the diameter of a proton. The author Douglas Adams rejected them all. He was quoted as saying - "The answer to this is very simple. It was a joke. It had to be a number, an ordinary, smallish number, and I chose that one. Binary representations, base 13, Tibetan monks are all complete nonsense. I sat at my desk, stared into the garden and thought '42 will do'. I typed it out. End of story."  :D :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 20:09 »

Yes there is.............can you guess what it might be though :lol: :lol:

Did you peruse Graham's Number.........sizzle..... :lol: :lol:
I seem to recall in the dark depths of my selective memory it was mentioned in some form of physics lesson but then I switched off (or fell asleep)

Did you used to drive the rocket tram during the lights?

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2018, 20:22 »

Did you used to drive the rocket tram during the lights?

No, but it looks great  :D Don't want to hijack the thread.....TVR

hamstergbert

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2018, 20:46 »
er... how does the grapefruit know exactly where your eye is...?
er... why are some people smug in spite of spending on a 'smart' car enough that they could have got a proper car for the same amount...?
er.... if a thermos can keep hot things hot and cold things cold, what happens if it gets confused...?
er... what do optimists and pessimists make of a glass that is in fact the correct size for the amount of liquid...?
er... if a paraglider pilot is landing in a field which is empty apart from a single tree, why are they 80% certain to crash into that tree...?
er... is walking a mile in another man's shoes still such a good idea if your feet are a different size from his...?
er... do all whales produce 'whale song' or are some tone deaf...?
er... who makes the clothes that are cheap enough for badly-paid sweatshop workers to buy...?
er... are grumpy bears described by other bears as being like 'a person with a sore head'...?
er... if 'stinking bishop' cheese has gone off, how would you know...?
er... when harvesting courgettes, how does the Jolly Green Giant avoid accidentally  cutting off his fingers...?
er... would a dyslexic person struggle with spelling TVR...?

DanielCoffey

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2018, 22:04 »
er... how does the grapefruit know exactly where your eye is...?

If you check, the angle between the grapefruit segment, the spoon and your eye is always exactly 42 degrees. It's true, honest!

Growster...

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2018, 06:51 »
" is walking a mile in another man's shoes still such a good idea if your feet are a different size from his...?"

I was told that this was the best way to get a new pair of shoes, as the bloke you'd got them from was a mile away, and had bare feet!

Mind you, I didn't like the shoes, so I took them back and told him he was still an idiot...

xx
Coronavirus questions please

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

27 Replies
Last post March 12, 2020, 19:02
by John

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 51 queries.