What's for tea? 2018

• 939 Replies

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: What's for tea? 2018
« Reply #885 on: December 11, 2018, 20:32 »
Homemade bolognese with extra cheese for insulation purposes.

Lardman

« Reply #886 on: December 12, 2018, 19:44 »
Pasta bake - only to discover there were no mixed herbs left half way into cooking it.  :blush:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #887 on: December 13, 2018, 00:42 »
Leek and potato pie with gammon.  Rather lovely it was too.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

madcat

« Reply #888 on: December 13, 2018, 09:22 »
It was cold beef with (the last of the) calabrese in cheese sauce, with (carefully reserved!) left over roasties for OH.  If he'd known I'd cooked extras, they would never have made it to last night's plate.   ::)

The calabrese plants are now on the compost heap.  I am amazed that they have kept going as long as they have.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

madcat

« Reply #889 on: December 14, 2018, 21:11 »
Beef casserole was eaten at lunch time (we needed something hot after a morning at the shops!) so tea was apple and stilton soup, with bread for OH.  Healthy, so the odd glass of vino colapso balanced things out!   :D

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #890 on: December 14, 2018, 21:54 »
Chinese takeaway tonight and copious amounts of beer this evening. Fridays are great.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #891 on: December 14, 2018, 22:03 »
I had a salmon fillet with coleslaw, peas and mash sneaked a mince pie from the freezer stash for after  :D

Lardman

« Reply #892 on: December 16, 2018, 09:51 »
The freezer in ML garage doesn't like the cold weather so it's time for a mass clear out.  Options for tonight are a whole leg of lamb, 1lb of stewing steak or ½lb of sausage meat. 

Yes it is my fault for kicking the can down the road instead of buying a chest freezer when I said I would last year.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #893 on: December 16, 2018, 12:13 »
The freezer in ML garage doesn't like the cold weather so it's time for a mass clear out.  Options for tonight are a whole leg of lamb, 1lb of stewing steak or ½lb of sausage meat. 

Yes it is my fault for kicking the can down the road instead of buying a chest freezer when I said I would last year.
Use the sausage meat first - lamb and steak will last longer. If you're buying a new freezer, check how long they'll hold temperature in a power cut. Some online retailers tell you. It can range quite widely and you never know. Our chest freezer reckons 36 hours - handy if the poles come down :)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #894 on: December 17, 2018, 12:43 »
All ready to pop in the oven.   Casserole of chicken with olives and saffron, from my French cookery book, have done the spuds as well - in the saucepan ready to switch on.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #895 on: December 17, 2018, 14:50 »
My good friend has a rare evening off work tonight so it's a boy's night out for a curry and beer :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #896 on: December 17, 2018, 15:51 »
Cottage pie with Brussels and carrots. I've just eaten the Cornetto which was supposed to be for pud  :blush:

snowdrops

« Reply #897 on: December 17, 2018, 16:07 »

You could make sausage rolls with erm the sausage meat & roast the lamb to be followed by some sliced in gravy for the freezer & or stew packs for when the  cba fairy visits again , you could also make extra pastry & make a couple of steak pies & jobs a good un. I found Ao.com delivered a freezer & fridge incredibly quickly when I ordered for my mum.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lardman

« Reply #898 on: December 17, 2018, 20:18 »
None to self - be less predictable  :nowink:

Sausage meat was turned into giant sausage rolls with the pastry I was going to use for mince pies, I had one with rustic wedges for dinner and the other cold for lunch - They were fine, I just don't think shortcrust pastry goes with pork.

The beef was done in the slow cooker as beef and ale (stout actually) stew for ML, she complained it was still tough after 8 hours though.

The lamb I split at the shin, the upper was slow cooked today for roast lamb (which I had tonight and was excellent - waitrose lamb seems to be pricey but worth it) the shank will go back in tomorrow with pearl barley etc for lamb stew.

I wouldn't use AO.com again if you paid me after the poor service I had the last time. John lewis is the same price and has an extra years warranty.  I've brought anything of 'value' back here so there's just milk and a whole lot of apple puree in there if it dies completely. I'll deal with it after the holiday period.... promise.

madcat

« Reply #899 on: December 18, 2018, 09:14 »
Last night was chicken and cabbage cass, with steamed pots for OH.  Not thrilling and not as good as it should have been, it went on rather late.   :(

Better step it up with tonight's chicken and leek casserole, with butter beans and mushrooms.   :blush:

xx

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post January 01, 2018, 17:32
by greenjay
xx
RHS Chelsea 2018

Started by DD. on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2018, 08:12
by rowlandwells
xx
What's the weather like where you are? (2018)

Started by JayG on Chatting on the Plot

928 Replies
Last post December 21, 2018, 15:49
by mrs bouquet
xx
Fishing Season 2018

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

69 Replies
Last post December 07, 2018, 15:12
by Aled

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 50 queries.