Bread the stuff of life

• 527 Replies

chrissie B

Bread the stuff of life
« on: January 09, 2015, 19:15 »
I love to produce a tasty loaf , now i was wondering is my loaf recipe which has 1 teaspoon each of salt and sugar + 1oz of butter to 1lb of flour is this healthier than shop bought and could i reduce the ammount of salt and sugar without compromising the flavour , i do love my bread id hate to think it wasn't better for me than the shop stuff.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Mrs Bee

Re: Bread the stuff of life
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 19:54 »
You can ditch the sugar, replace the butter with olive oil but don't reduce the salt.

bread without salt is foul and if you are making it in a bread machine the loaf goes a strange texture.

I have on occasions forgotten the salt and the birds got the bread, Yuck.

Any homemade bread is better than shop bought because of all the chemicals they put in it to extend the shelf life.

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 20:04 »
Home made bread is far more filling, so you eat less of it while enjoying it more- health benefits all round!

I've had home made bread made for me for years now - but not the brown variety sadly.
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 20:12 »
We make florences bread so its safe. Still trying to get a decent wheat free bread for Harry. That rice bread is just disgusting if even comes with moisture sachets between the slices. That to me is just wrong.

We love homemad bread no butter in ours though.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 20:50 »
Home made bread is far more filling, so you eat less of it while enjoying it more- health benefits all round!

I've had home made bread made for me for years now - but not the brown variety sadly.

Does this mean that you would quite like some wholemeal bread then Kev.

If so, get out in the kitchen and make yourself some. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We usually have wholemeal. The best tasting wholemeal bread flour is snaisbury's, and I add a small handful of sesame seed, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds.

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 20:55 »
Ahhh... you see, my Daddy makes my bread out of love and he doesn't want to make wholemeal!

It doesn't stop me trying though!  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 21:29 »
No butter in mine either, just a tblsp of rice bran or olive oil.

I hate commercial bread, especially after reading about the chorley wood process which John and Val told me about years ago, and how damp commercial bread is.  Home made bread as you know gets dry when it gets older, shop stuff just goes mouldy! yuck.

At least if my bread gets too dry to toast, I can make it into breadcrumbs!   ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 21:37 »
That sandwich loaf I was on about makes fab toast  :tongue2:  It's the Michel Roux one. Mind you it appears in Dan Leppard's book too. Not surprised, cos it's lovely

chrissie B

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 22:11 »
I use the womans instute one that i have tweeked a bit , i made a loaf sunday gone and we just finished it thursday it says 1 teaspoon yeast fast one but noticed my packet  was out of date so put the whole pk in and it was a much better loaf , recipe says put in the loaf tin and its ok but last time i plated it no tin and it was enourmus and hubby says it was my best ever so im sticking with that , thanks all for help i had also changed water for half milk and waterso i could ditch the butter im not good at thinking out of the box ha ha
chrissie b

hamstergbert

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 22:50 »
300 gm strong white, 200 gm strong wholemeal, 1 tsp sugar, ditto rapid yeast, half tsp sea salt, 275 ml warmish water, stir to rubble consistency of big and little smeary lumps.  Slight overflowing tablespoonful olive or other oil, good wellying until comes together and use to scavenge any uncombined bits then off you go for knead / prove / knockback / reprove / bake.

Alternative is active dried yeast 1 tsp mixed with warm water and sugar left 10-15 mins until thick froffy layer then into flours and salt mix then as above.

Delicious bread and therapeutic to make.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Mrs Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 23:43 »
No butter in mine either, just a tblsp of rice bran or olive oil.

I hate commercial bread, especially after reading about the chorley wood process which John and Val told me about years ago, and how damp commercial bread is.  Home made bread as you know gets dry when it gets older, shop stuff just goes mouldy! yuck.

At least if my bread gets too dry to toast, I can make it into breadcrumbs!   ;)

Oh the Chorley wood process >:( I bought the Sunday times book of real bread when I was in my early twenties, not long ago ::), and it was a very thick tome of a book which gave the history and background of bread and all about the Chorley Wood process. The book of real bread was the start of the revolution in artisan bread making.

I started at the beginning and worked my way through the book.

I remember being very annoyed whilst teaching after someone arranged for a well know manufacturer of expensive plastic bread to come in a give a talk to our year 3 classes about healthy eating, but they were really promoting their product.

I put a couple of children up to asking for the ingredients of the bread. ::)

I then asked if we could keep the samples they bought in. They went into the freezer and I organised a bread day where we had an enormous array of home baked bread from myself and lots of the mums and the plastic bread samples.

The children then did a professional style,  test and tasted and marked the breads.

The plastic stuff scored lowest. Who says kids have no taste. :D

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 04:36 »
I make all my own bread, basic flour, salt, yeast and water. In summer when I make a bit of butter I use the buttermilk to stop waste, but never use oil any more, just a slick to stop the dough sticking to the bowl while rising. Don't use tins. The basic (quite wet) dough is the base for all the flavoured breads I make, add olive oil over the top to herby garlic breads. Favourite at the moment is walnut and gorgonzola, yummy!

jaydig

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 10:22 »
I make our own bread using a machine. We much prefer it, and it's no trouble to do. The benefit is that it can be made to suit you. Even the white flour is unbleached, so no chemicals there. Seeds to your liking can be added, and I also replace the butter with olive oil, although I don't leave out the sugar or salt. The smell of baking bread wafting through the house is lovely, and feels really homely.

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 10:40 »
Supermarket white sliced is 'the stuff of life'.

Proper homemade bread is ' the staff of life'! :)

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 13:22 »
I make all sorts of breads, by hand having ditched my absolutely useless machine. I like to make it by hand as each loaf  is different, having a life of its own so I like to know what I'm dealing with so hands in  :)

I love the Dan Leppard book as it really opens your eyes to the massive subject that is bread but never losing sight of what it's all about.   My fave bread, apart from the easy peasy sandwich loaf, is a spelt honey, fig, orange and walnut bread.  Makes the most sublime toast should there be any left  :tongue2:

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 53 queries.