I am pleased to present...

• 32 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: I am pleased to present...
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 07:37 »
aww Kate what an exciting time for you, mum and baby are gorgeous. Are they a rare breed?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 10:21 »
Yes, they're on the Rare Breeds Survival Trust vulnerable list. I wanted to keep a breed that needed a bit of help as well as them being beautiful, hardy and apparently very tasty!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 10:43 »
so are you going to keep some to breed and exchange rather than eating them all? I bet they are really tasty if left longer and used as mutton.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 17:07 »
You must be so proud, Kate  :D

Annabelle is gorgeous and I am sure her playmates will be just as adorable when they all arrive  :closedeyes:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 19:51 »
Well after yesterdays twins our massive ewe produced triplets this afternoon. The last is a bit wee (only 3 lbs) but full of beans. We are seeing if we can keep them all on mum rather than having to bottle feed any but if it looks like one is needing a bit of help we will take over.

Thank Goodness I am now off for 2 weeks so can keep a really close eye on them all and no problems bottle feeding if needed.

No I am also starting to worry that I am missing something as they all, that's all 6 of them, seem to be ewe lambs! Starting to think that's too good to be true and I just can't tell the difference! I do seem to remember that the tups were always pretty easy to spot btu definitely no testicles seem on any of these. Need to have a good look at the 1st 2 of today's triplets but letting them settle with mum before fiddling about with them!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 20:04 »
My mistake, the second of the triplets is a boy and it is obvious. Just not looking hard enough and got head butted for my efforts today, mum is very protective!

Unless we find someone interested in buying him to breed from he will be eaten. The rest will be replacements and flock expansion.

Trillium

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 21:09 »
If he's destined for the freezer, get his private bits cut off very soon to avoid the gamey taste. Maybe that should be his new name.... Freezer  :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 21:54 »
Well we have ended up with both of the ewe lambs from the triplets being bottle fed. Although the little one is not that much smaller than the ram lamb she couldn't keep up with the ram lamb and the mother just seemed to focus entirely on the boy. The tiny one just wandered off and the mum had no interest in her at all. So in they came.

Been a challenging couple of days as they have really struggled to get the hang of the bottle so been taking a little but almost every 2 hours but we are finally getting into a better (well for me anyway!) pattern. They are both beautiful and seem to be pretty active so fingers crossed.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 18:04 »
Just as well you have two weeks off then Kate as you will be very buys with those little ones  :D

Great flock expansion there, plus some meat to come for the freezer --- all good  :D :D :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 20:29 »
I wonder if I could claim it as maternity leave?  ;)

They are just getting the hang of playing and doing those little 4 legged jumps and I just want to cuddle them to bits!

Yes, great flock expansion. we started small so we had the space to expand with our own sheep. Somehow very different animals you have raised yourself rather than bought. And of course the boy for the freezer. We have 2 more ewes to lamb so not over yet. One is definitely pregnant and not far off as she has bagged up (udder filled up in preparation for lamb/s) but think the final ewe is probably not pregnant but she might surprise me.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 22:33 »
My cousin has a fancy phone and took some lovely pics of the cade lambs. Thought I would share some.

Yes, they are in the dining room but it's only because they are banned from the living room!

Springlands

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 22:37 »
They are real beauties. Hope they are house trained.  :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 22:41 »
Sadly no! But they are doing well and spending most of the day outside now. Hopefully not long before they can sleep in the barn too (suspect I am the one struggling to cope with separation more than them). That being said, every time I leave the back door open I find them asleep in front of the aga!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 05:17 »
Sadly no! But they are doing well and spending most of the day outside now. Hopefully not long before they can sleep in the barn too (suspect I am the one struggling to cope with separation more than them). That being said, every time I leave the back door open I find them asleep in front of the aga!

Awww gorgeous. :D

snowdrops

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2014, 07:37 »
Lovely lambs, is one the boy? I don't think I could eat him if I'd hand reared him :(. Mind you think I would struggle with any if I'd had anything to do with looking after them  :( :(. That's what turned my sister veggie. She was pregnant at the same time as her sheep & said they knew & were very interested in her baby when she took him to meet them.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 35 queries.