Bay Trees.

• 18 Replies

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
Bay Trees.
« on: January 14, 2017, 10:45 »
A very expensive tree/Bush to buy.
Is it possible to take cuttings and if so how please?
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Bay Trees.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 11:39 »
Yes, absolutely.  Summer cuttings I think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 11:41 »

lettice

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 11:52 »
Taken loads of cuttings from our Bay trees over the years.
The time to take cuttings in the summer and just pot up or just plant straight in the soil.
Bay trees are very easy to grow this way.
If you are lucky and have a larger bay tree growing, look at the soil around the bottom of the tree and you may see some new plants growing. This will be seeds that dropped in Autumn and have seeded.
In Autumn you can always take the seed and sow, but its easier to just take cuttings.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 16:51 »
If you want a sneaky shortcut, look for a bay in the herb section of the garden centre.  You can usually find small square pots for around the £4 mark that are thick with stems.  They come in from Holland and each stem is a rooted cutting.  They sometimes end up in the shrub section or even hedging at this time of year, so ask if you don't see them. 

I have 2 standard bays, plus several large shrubs that I got by pulling a pot apart a few years ago and growing the individual plants on :)

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 10:36 »
Thank you all for your advice. Fantastic!
I will take cuttings in the summer and in the meantime i'll look for a cheap pot as New Shoot mentioned.

snow white

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 12:02 »
On this topic, but slightly off.
I have a  standard bay tree and have had it for about 20 years.  It is looking way past its best.  If I cut it down to the bottom will I then get a lovely compact and small bay?  there are plenty of plants coming up from the roots of the tree that look 10x better than the ones at the top.  I have tried to trim the top but it does not look well.  It has been re-potted several times.  Last time was about two years ago.  Due for another one in spring.

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 13:34 »
As said the easy option is simply to buy a small cheap potted one from a GC or anywhere else that has one on offer. Check your local B&Q for a small one.

They grow quite happily, but probably better against a wall for shelter, they do not overlike a damp ground, they are meditterean after all.

Mine started out about 4 inches high is now 10 to 12 foot and big all round. Pruning is easy - find someone that wants some fresh bay leaves. Think I have a robin that nests in it every so often. Being evergreen it provides shelter all year and mine is against a wall for more protection.

I have 2 cutting that took, intend donating them to people.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 13:58 »
On this topic, but slightly off.
I have a  standard bay tree and have had it for about 20 years.  It is looking way past its best.  If I cut it down to the bottom will I then get a lovely compact and small bay?  there are plenty of plants coming up from the roots of the tree that look 10x better than the ones at the top.  I have tried to trim the top but it does not look well.  It has been re-potted several times.  Last time was about two years ago.  Due for another one in spring.

Bays throw lots of shoots from the base, so yes you will  :)

I would hand on a while longer, unless you can give the tree some weather protection.  If you completely lop the top off, you will get a forest of shoots from the base, but they may well get hammered by heavy frosts.

snow white

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 14:21 »
I will wait until the last frosts.  It is on my patio in a very sheltered area protected on all sides so should do very well.  I will let you all know how it goes.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 18:35 »
Once you go for the big chop, just keep trimming the top regularly as the new growth starts.  You can keep a bay to whatever size you like really.

I savaged a few very large shrubs in my garden this year as a new fence was going up.  They shooted back out and you would never know now  :)

snow white

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 08:34 »
Thank you New Shoot. :)

newupthetump

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 12:25 »
If you want a sneaky shortcut, look for a bay in the herb section of the garden centre.  You can usually find small square pots for around the £4 mark that are thick with stems.  They come in from Holland and each stem is a rooted cutting.  They sometimes end up in the shrub section or even hedging at this time of year, so ask if you don't see them. 

I have 2 standard bays, plus several large shrubs that I got by pulling a pot apart a few years ago and growing the individual plants on :)

that's very interesting. I have such a Bay Tree and was a bit worried I had bought the wrong thing even though it says bay on the label. I have many stems and thought a Bay was a single stem, they have obviously been thinned out and manicured. leaves taste great though, much better than the dried variety in the shops

jambop

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 21:37 »
Bay grows like a weed down our way the seeds get scattered around by the birds and grow very well I have them all over the place.

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 18:07 »

That's exactly what I did today. Managers Discount at £ 3.00 at Wyevale :) :) :) :). It  has been a long wait but worth it :D :D :D

xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
leg trees?

Started by p00rstudent on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 14:35
by p00rstudent
xx
Trees!

Started by eliop on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2020, 10:42
by Yorkie
cheesy
New Trees

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 09, 2016, 08:37
by Lardman

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 39 queries.