Advice please

• 4 Replies

browntrouty

Advice please
« on: December 23, 2009, 18:41 »
Hi, I have 4 hens which have always lived together (got them in september as POL) They lay fine except one, which did then stopped. She was moulting, not now,  and is most anti-social/moody, she won't feed or roost with others and would rather roost outside on old chair. It is getting really hard to get her in the coop. Any suggestions? surely i can't leave her outside on her own in this weather?

lisa80

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 18:49 »
im no expert but i would try to get her in the coop it may be hard work but if you seperate her from the others it may be hard to re introduce her .also check coop for mites or if shes maybe unwell. definatly wipe a tissue around your pirches just to see if maybe you have red mite if shes under the weather she may be more affected than the others :)

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 19:23 »
can u not house this bird on her own for a while , it may be possible that shes being bullied in the coop or she is feeling unwell .

moulting can go on for a while which can make them miserable mine are still moulting and growing though new feathers so the odd girl goes queit then picks up again .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 21:13 »
I have 2 that don't sleep in their coops, 1 sleeps on top of a lorry engine squashed under the cab and the other in the summer she lived in an apple tree but since that lost it's leaves she now roosts in the laurels (these are about 15 feet high and 6 feet wide so I can't get to her). They both keep looking inside the coops as I think they are getting ready to lay but both refuse to sleep in them  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 21:54 »
I also have 2 that never go to bed. I just wait until they are asleep, 10 mins after dark, and pick them up,(having a little cuddle) and stand them on a perch inside the coop. I've had to do this for over a year, but only 2 naughty choox out of 100+ isnt bad.

It is not a good idea to leave them roost outside, unless they are snuggled warm and high out of reach of rats and foxes, and MINK...but thats another story
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Advice please

Started by dugless on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 16:23
by joyfull
xx
Advice Again Please

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 17:21
by peggyprice
xx
fox advice

Started by Ockers on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 21, 2011, 10:58
by joyfull

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 39 queries.