powdery mildew

• 9 Replies

littlejaffa

powdery mildew
« on: August 22, 2009, 09:22 »
HELP!
Since they were tiny sprouts, i've had a white 'wriggle' on my peas....this white wriggling line continued as they got bigger and now (fully grown) in a few days they've gone almost totally white/grey all over, though the pods seem green/healthy there are very few and no more flowers.
I'm guessing at powdery mildew...but it's not powdery...it's 'inside' the leaves, and doesn't brush of?

Right beside my pea bed, i have courgettes who look to be going the same way and slowling down production as they do. They've never had the lines, just suddenly started getting patches that look alot more like powdery mildew than the peas ever did.
I had serious aphid trouble with these before fruiting but fairy liquid saw them of, is this is result of spraying that possibly?

Please tell me if i can save/slow this at all or if i should dig up the peas and burn (no great loss there isn't that much and i'd rather save the courgettes)

Hope someone can help, sorry for the essay!

Salmo

Re: powdery mildew
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 10:40 »
Try pressing the search button. There is plenty of information on powdery mildew there.

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 13:03 »
Have a look on this BBC site, it has lots of pictures and you may be able to identify the cause, I've found it useful in the past.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advice/pests_and_diseases/popup.shtml

littlejaffa

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 13:54 »
Terrier  - Thank you for replying, i'd never found that site and i've bookmarked it now, can't beleive i've survived this long without it! your a star thanks so much  :D

Try pressing the search button. There is plenty of information on powdery mildew there.

Thanks so much for your informative reply, it's great to have such a warm welcome in my first post. ???
I did use the search button but as I say in my post the problem really fit the powdery mildew description given there....it's inside the leaves, it doesn't brush of etc...

scousemouse

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 14:43 »
Thanks very much for posting the pest and disease identifier Terrier.  Much appreciated by this novice whose only just noticed pest and disease problems now in his second year and is a bit flummoxed by them.  Although a lot can be dealt with by spraying it with fairy liquid!

For powdery mildew, has anyone tried the remedy of spraying it with chamomile tea?

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 00:21 »
No need for a strop littlejaffa!!!

Try these treatments. Milk is good.

Milk diluted 9:1, skimmed avoids any smell.

or 1 tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda (sodium bicarbonate) per gallon of water. Sold by chemists for treating indigestion. It is the main ingredient of baking powder but that has tartartic acid added. Not to be confused with washing soda (sodium carbonate) or caustic soda.

or sulphur sold as wetable sulphur from your garden centre

Sue32

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 08:53 »
If plants get infected can the leaves be composted or not?  OH put all the leaves I cut off the courgettes into Compost bin - should I retrive them?  He tries to help  :dry:
trying to be green except when blue

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 22:17 »
The white/silver patch on some pea leaves is natural :), if it's a thin wriggly line inside the leaf it's pea leaf miner....which doesn't really do any harm :)
If it's all over the leaf then it's mildew :(

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:44 »
If it wipes off it is powdery mildew.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:57 »
And some varities of courgette do have a silvery mottling to the leaves, in patches, which is normal  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Powdery Mildew

Started by rockyracoon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 19:30
by mr Isaccs
xx
Powdery mildew

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 14, 2017, 18:14
by victoria park
xx
powdery mildew

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 22:29
by fatcat1955
xx
Powdery Mildew

Started by tam on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 15:49
by goodegg

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 40 queries.