Poor season so far.

• 63 Replies

oldgrunge

Re: Poor season so far.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 21:26 »
Harvested garlic today, worst crop ever, only a couple of usable bulbs. The rest either small or rotted off altogether. Remembering last autumn's torrential rain which left it sitting in pools of water.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

grinling

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 21:40 »
there is a weedkiller which remains active and affects tomatoes, beans and peas.
this could be in your compost.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 12:13 »
My toms have never looked so sickly, and I'm resigned to not getting much (if anything) from them.  I do think it may be my fault, as I used the Miracle Grow with feed and water stuff for potting on this year. 

Two years ago I added Growmore to the compost in my home made tomato planters as I filled them up, but instead of mixing it in well I unaccountably (face-saving substitute word for 'stupidly'  :blush:) left it in a single layer.

The plants were stunted and unhappy for about a month, presumably because their roots got burnt, but the good news is they did grow through it and cropped quite well in the end, although of course I didn't get the precious lost month back.

Obviously I don't know whether you mixed your fertiliser in well, or whether what you used was as 'hot' as dry Growmore, but I thought I'd mention my experience (and the happy ending) just in case.

As long as your containers are well drained, plenty of water will help to dilute and disperse any potentially excess fertiliser.

Aha! This may explain a few things. The early growth of my beans is looking very strange - stunted and quite curled up leaves, although they now seem to be over their early problems!

As for this year, lettuce/salad leaves are the best I've had, even those grown from home-harvested seeds, which tend to run to see much more quickly. The mizuna in particular has been fab.

But my radishes have been poor, two of 5 peppers have died, and I had quite a low germination rate for tomatoes (although they seem to be doing OK now).

Headgardener22

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 16:39 »
I think like many, I have a mixed bag. Some things have failed miserably (French Beans in particular) but other things are romping away (my autumn fruited raspberries are huge). What I'm hoping is that the masses of growth on things like blackcurrants and blackberries are a sign that next year will be a bumper harvest.

One thing I have noticed is that this year shows the benefit of successional sowing, of the four lots of peas that I've grown, one lot is doing very well but others (sown a week before and one and two weeks after) are pants. All the same variety so it can only be the weather (and its effects - slugs).

andimac

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 12:43 »
Mine is also a bit of a mixed bag so far.
Potatoes look full of healthy growth but I've no idea what is going on down below! For the first time ever I may have some good sized carrots (though I've thought that before and been wrong...) and the beetroot also look like they're coming along nicely.
The few runner beans I managed to get germinated are not looking well at all despite being in the same patch as the quite healthy peas and broad beans.
I'm about to harvest my first courgette of the season. In comparison my asparagus is weak and spindly. It is the first season since they went in last autumn so I'd no plans to cut any but I did hope for something a bit larger than about 1-2 mm thick!
Some of the overwintering onions look quite big so will come out soon but everything else seems a bit behind...
As for the greenhouse, the tomato plants are fine and quite big but the cucumber plants are pretty small.

chillimummy

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 18:38 »
Been to plot today and none of the french beans, peas, pak choi and spinach sown have germinated so bit of gap there! Squash haven't been eaten and early potatoes are full of flowers. Strawberries huge and raspberries looking healthy too so hoping for good crop from them.
Plot looking quite empty though so hoping for  success from sowing more things at home first. 
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 06:39 »
We lost 90% of our 'Swift' early spuds, to slugs. The 'Kestrel' second earlies look a bit better, although have some scab, which is a new phenomena here, as there isn't much lime around on The Patch.

Toms are thriving as are cuces, and the apple trees are full of soft foliage too, which means they may ripen somewhat differently this year!

For the first time ever, we have some reasonable onions, but the winter-planted garlic has loads of rust now. I think we'll have to lift them all and hope for the best!

Hey-ho, another British summer, eh?

ALOTBSOL, as per Python!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 19:14 »
Everything is just so far behind this year! My onions are pathetic and I don't think they are going to come to anything. French beans, sugar snaps and broad beans seem to be doing ok but runner beans keep trying to commit suicide. Squash plants look healthy but still small I don't know if we will get anything in time this year - the same with sweetcorn!

First year for new strawberry plants and this awful summer has resulted in no strawberries this year :( Sowed so many parsnips and hardly any germinated (again!)

Got so many gaps this year but not sure what I can fill them with

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 19:40 »
On my third sowing or runner beans. Slugs eaten the tops off the last 2 sowings. not had one summer cabbage that has survived. Bush toms in the g.h full of flowers but little fruit so far.
Not a sign of my JA's They should be a foot high by now.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 23:57 »
I'm growing rice next year.   :lol:

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 20:27 »
For the first time in about twenty years my parsnip sowings have failed miserably. I sowed some in April, May and early June and I reckon I'll have a grand total of about ten parsnips to harvest this year. In previous years I'd kept family and neighbours supplied from October through to April.

I blame the cold April, dry May and hot early June for the poor germination rates as I used newly bought seed and took the usual care with soil preparation

al78

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2016, 09:56 »
How many of those having poor seasons so far live south east of a line stretching from the Severn estuary to the Humber estuary? The area south east of this line has had 30-50% less sunshine than normal in June, and some parts have had more than double the normal rainfall.

2016_6_sunshine_anomaly_1981-2010.gif
2016_6_rainfall_anomaly_1981-2010.gif

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2016, 10:48 »
Yes, that is where I am  :(
Unfortunately the above average CET temperature was above normal because of high minimum temperatures, rather than nice warm sunny days  :( :(

I hope next year is better!

Mum2mj

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2016, 16:23 »
I'm just so sick of all the rain, lower areas around us keep getting flooded. I've not really had any success as I've not been able to get to the plot to put anything in! Everything is in pots on my patio looking sad  :(

Audy70

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2016, 16:51 »
It's so disheartening when I look back on pictures from last year and the bounty I had then compared to the few small garlic and onions this year. The only thing that's better this year is strawberries. All I'm doing is praying for better weather next year.

xx
Poor season for shows?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2015, 19:55
by New shoot
xx
Odd one....Next season seeds from this season crops

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:21
by zazen999
xx
New Season

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 18:10
by sazhig
xx
Twice in one season!

Started by Nickchick on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 19:26
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 41 queries.