Glyphosate ban?

• 61 Replies

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
Glyphosate ban?
« on: June 01, 2016, 01:02 »
Apparently the European Commision vote later in June on banning glyphosate for domestic use.  I know it's strong stuff and don't use it as a rule but there are some instances when it's the only thing for getting rid of the really evil weeds.  Waitrose have already stopped selling it (not that I shop there) I'm told.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 01:12 by BumbleJo »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Glyphosate ban?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 10:24 »
Yes, it is one of those things that some people have strong feeling about.

I very rarely use it but in some situations it seems a good option, eg killing bindweed among crops.

From what I've read there is no concensus among the various voting countries for a vote to ban/renew it - so the licence will just be left to expire at the end of this month.

ptarmigan

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 10:54 »
I try not to use it. But sometimes a quick dab of round up is a real timesaver.  I've also sprayed the boundaries of the plot but am now going to use ground cover plants and weed suppressant so I hope I won't have to do it again.

I'm not sure that occasional use by home gardeners is really the issue here...

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 11:24 »
Just checked with our local farming supplies outlet. They will continue to sell Gallup concentrate in 5 litre containers so the proposed lapse of licence must refer to domestic use only

BabbyAnn

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 13:30 »
If glyphosate is regarded as a carcinogen, then its use in the farming of foods should be totally banned too - glyphosate is used not just as a weedkiller prior to sowing/planting but frequently used as in pre-harvest spraying (to kill plants off quicker, as a dessicant prior to harvesting grain) and it isn't specific to GM crops either.

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 14:31 »
well thats what u expect when you give up making rules for the country you live in .....thats the brutal fact

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 14:57 »
Until someone produces an authoritative article on its carcinogenic risks, I'll carry on using it as my weed-killer of choice, as will our farming community

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 15:14 »
If glyphosate is regarded as a carcinogen...

This is in no way proven !

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 15:16 »
From what I can gather it will only be available to commercial users to be applied by persons with training to apply herbicides. The theory being that home users are a bit slapdash at obeying safety rules and therefore a risk to themselves and others..

You will still be able to employ someone to apply it for you to clear a site etc. That means splashing a bit here and there will no longer be on.

There is of course no reason why an allotment site committee should not send a person to be trained. Most of these schemes allow spraying under supervision of a qualified person.

Admit it. You know it makes sense.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 15:24 »

No, it doesn't really  ::)

We'll need to have the fire bregade standing by when we have a bonfire soon.  ::)

Nobbie

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 16:59 »

As there is no proven risk of cancer from Glyphosate, it doesn't really make sense at all. It would be more sensible to ban bacon and barbeques which seem to have more evidence of carcinogenic effect. Oh well, off to the farm supplies place for a 5L of Gallup, I'll put it next to the Kurtail that I didn't buy to get around the last ban  :tongue2:

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 17:25 »
Oh well, off to the farm supplies place for a 5L of Gallup,
Hahaha, that's exactly what I did too. I was down to the last half litre in the container but to be sure of having glyphosate for the next ten years, I took no chances. Maybe £40 well-spent. Now I must look for someone to train me on using it safely ;)

Trikidiki

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 21:08 »
I'm not saying I agree with it but at least this ban is because of a suspected link with cancer unlike all the other chemicals which have been banned solely because no-one will pay to have them licensed.

Swing Swang

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 07:03 »
My understanding is that the proposed ban has more to do with the two common additives that make glyphosate more 'sticky' in that these are more toxic than the herbicide. So we have the prospect of a ban that could be resolved by re formulating the product whilst keeping the same active ingredient...and of course if I use it in a backpack sprayer on my own land for non-commercial use that's OK, but if I use it on someone else's land (the allotment) then I need the relevant certification to use the backpack sprayer (but not a similar capacity hand held sprayer using exactly the same pumping mechanism and spray head) which will cost about 200 green ones and two days training/examination...
I really have no idea if this is entirely due to Europe, but...

Audy70

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 12:17 »
Just saw this on the RHS website (https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=283):
*A note on glyphosate May 2016: After reviewing glyphosate, the European Parliament has given the go ahead to relicense it but proposes disallowing certain uses such as public open space and restricting it to professional use only. The final resolution will be decided by national authorities this summer which may mean the withdrawal of glyphosate-based weedkillers for home gardeners in the UK. Check the RHS website for further updates.

xx
after using glyphosate?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 11, 2013, 20:11
by BabbyAnn
xx
Glyphosate

Started by apes1978 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 11, 2006, 21:52
by GrannieAnnie
xx
using glyphosate just now

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2014, 18:11
by diospyros
xx
Glyphosate

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 13:31
by philskin

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 40 queries.