soft shell eggs

• 4 Replies
soft shell eggs
« on: August 29, 2009, 09:39 »
Hi i have just brought 4 hens (aweek ago) they live in a 6x4 shed which i have made two nest boxes and a perch for them. i let them out at about 7am to wander round the garden which is fenced and 12ft hedge all round so should not get out  :nowink: i feed them on layer pellets and some corn as a treat in the afternoon also a bit of grit.
Problem i have is only one hen is laying the other 3 maybe a bit young to lay yet.
The one that is laying only seems to lay soft shell eggs, as this my 1st time having hens am i doing something wrong with the feed or any one got some advice? :ohmy:

Vember

Re: soft shell eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 10:07 »
Hi HC1951

Ideally your hens should have access to oyster shell (contains calcium to help egg shell production) and grit (for grinding up food in the crop) at all times when outside :)

I leave a dish of each down and re ~ fill as and when needed :D

Welcome to the Forums by the way :D

Sarah :)

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 11:04 »
Our girls first eggs were soft. I think it may take them a little while for their egg laying system to become established but oyster grit will deffinately help. We leave a little tub of it out by their food so that they can help themselves to it when they feel the need. They seem to know how much they need ::)
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 19:38 »
  Yes i have been giving them that so should hopefully see some improvement soon

Thanks Les ::)

Spacey

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 20:42 »
Two of our hens regularly layed either soft shells or just a yolk for 2 or 3 weeks at the beginning of their laying 'career'.  We changed layer pellets to a better brand and leave a bowl of mixed oyster shell/grit available at all times. It is now quite rare for anything other than a perfect egg.

We've only had our girls since the end of May but can't imagine not having them, they are brilliant!

xx
Soft shell and no eggs

Started by tomgood99 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 11:48
by tomgood99
xx
Soft Shell Eggs

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 21:14
by ANHBUC
xx
Soft shell eggs

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2015, 08:25
by Sassy
xx
soft shell eggs

Started by chickadee on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 12:30
by Lydia-Maria

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 38 queries.