Wilting, curling ... sad anyway

• 6 Replies

rogertb

• Experienced Member
Wilting, curling ... sad anyway
« on: May 18, 2014, 09:08 »
Hi chaps, I have a greenhouse for the first time, I've grown several varieties from seed inc. cucumbers and tomatoes, most are OK but one 'tray' with 3 pots in seems dodgy, one cucumber and 2 tom's ... any thoughts please ?

tom1.jpg
tom2.jpg
cuke.jpg

LilacSandy

Re: Wilting, curling ... sad anyway
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 09:33 »
Is the tray full of water?

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 10:37 »
Well, long story, I attempted to rig up a drip system which filled the tray when the plants were a few inches tall, the water was eventually taken up and I've just been watering normally, however I turned on the drip and it filled up the tray again yesterday ('cause we're going away for a few days) ... so are you thinking over-watering ? - there are 2 other trays in the greenhouse and the plants in them seem to be OK !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 10:47 »
If the affected plants were in a potentially hotter place than the others I'd suggest heat-stress given the weather over the past few days (they look as if they may have wilted in the heat but are now trying to recover, which hopefully they will.)

I am rather infamous for killing my GH cukes before they even get to the fruiting stage, so not the best judge of yours, but they too may have become overheated - probably fair to say they are less likely to forgive you than the toms but you never know.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 12:50 »
Cucumbers may be too chilly over-night (unlikely now) or perhaps too wet around the roots. Reduce water and if possible rig up a bit of shade. They like the heat but not a dry heat and they are not good in direct sunlight. Mine usually fruit despite my efforts!

If it's too dry watch out for tiny red spide mite later in the season.

Totatoes - they look ok to me. Curl probably caused by lots of nutrients avaliable to the roots - should sort themselves out as they grow taller. Do the side shoots need removing on your varieties?

Good luck.

(Enjoy your break and don't panic)  ;)

PS Tie the cucumber up the stake - this will allow a better air flow around the vine and help prevent mildew. Leaves left sitting on damp soil may develop this.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:52 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 15:36 »
Thank you one and all ... they're looking a little happier but the cucumber has gone to the big salad bowl in the sky ...

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 15:59 »
Thank you one and all ... they're looking a little happier but the cucumber has gone to the big salad bowl in the sky ...

I would suggest maybe the roots got too damp and cold- that's a big pot for a small plant, loads of chilly wet compost around the roots and not being an expert and having killed quite a few, learnt that keeping tender stuff (toms/cues) in slightly too small pots before you pot on in spring is better as the soil keeps warmer.  Well for me anyhow (must have read it somewhere)

xx
Curling Cabbage

Started by Terry on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 21:41
by DD.
xx
Garlic curling !

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 09:31
by Mythi
xx
leaves curling

Started by seanandde on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 20:53
by Tapper
xx
curling leaf on cuc

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 08:56
by mashbintater

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 40 queries.