layers mash

• 6 Replies

Feathers

layers mash
« on: December 31, 2009, 08:39 »
Right just bought Layers Mash instead of pellets and would like to ask without sounding thick - you are meant to mix this stuff with water arent you??????????? please dont ignore this question it is a genuine one :)thanks

chickadee

Re: layers mash
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 08:54 »
i give my hens the mash as it it but in cold weather or when giving them tonics i mix with warm water but as a rule i give mash as it is ad lib
chickens out

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 09:04 »
I give the girls layers mash with some poultry spice and a few peas mixed with warm water but I leave pellets out as well for later in the day. The mash is usually gone within an hour!

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 09:15 »
Not a silly question at all.
When I feed mash I prefer to mix it with warm water. I find that if I feed it dry they tend to flick it about all over the place.
So the answere to your question is that you can feed it as it is or mixed with water, whatever you feel is best suited for you and your birds.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 09:29 »
I give the birds a warm mash in cold weather and also mix mash into any table scraps. Most of the time i feed layer pellets as there is far less waste .
If you only have a few hens it helps if you can "go halves" on a bag of mash with another chickeny person so it gets used faster.
Handy to have pellets and mash IMO.

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 09:38 »
 8) yeah I don't think it's a silly question at all either.  I know people who give their chooks mash as it is or add water to it to make a 'mash' and then even put some scraps in it.  Try all their food different ways - I've found if I feed foods the same way for too long they either have a preference for it a certain way or they just eventually turn their noses up for a while and prefer to just graze on grass or something.  A bit like us, we wouldn't want chips every day  8)  Mine have even gone off corn in the past!  They like some spring greens hung up when they're back in the run too sometimes - or (not too often but ..... CHICKEN RUGBY!!!) (sorry - couldn't resist - but sometimes I've gone out to them with a slice of bread and it's just tempting to have a giggle and watch one of them go after the slice of bread and 'win' it - so funny how they run with their fluffy bottom and legs going as fast as they can and they constantly look left and right behind them with this slice in their beaks while all the others go into scrum mode chasing the winner.  Eventually they nearly all get a slice of the bread!) :D

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 10:41 »
I used dry mash when I first got my ex batts cos that's what they were used to.  It takes them longer to eat it, and they make quite a mess with it, so was glad to wean them on to pellets.

But, I still use it to bulk up the afternoon treat, and its a good medium for getting extras down them.  For this purpose I mix it with water, hot water at this time of year, and they love it, seem to think its a treat.  Comfort food for hens.

xx
Layers Mash

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 10:06
by Roughlee Handled
xx
LAYERS MASH

Started by joyce c on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 10:41
by Roughlee Handled
xx
what is layers mash

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 16:52
by poppies
xx
layers-mash - pellets??

Started by BIG ZOOK on The Hen House

37 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 23:33
by little miss muffat

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 38 queries.