Suttons Crimson Crush

• 31 Replies

Lardman

Suttons Crimson Crush
« on: May 19, 2015, 13:48 »
My order arrived today, despatch from plant raisers ltd. Really healthy plants about 1ft tall in 3" pots  :ohmy: not your standard sickly looking plugs at all Big thumbs up to Suttons  :)

Looking at them, I'm sure they're grafted, I know seeds aren't available until next year but I wonder if this graft provides some of their blight resistance ? I had intended to keep seed and also strike a few side shoots (as one does  :nowink: ) but if the graft is important it will be pointless.  :unsure:

pdblake

• Experienced Member
Re: Suttons Crimson Crush
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 14:34 »
I was under the impression they were F1s anyway.

I put my name down for the freebies they were giving out but have presumably missed out. Got enough toms on the go anyway  :D

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 15:15 »
Crimson Crush is an F1. Keeping sideshoots overwinter would be good if you can though.

Steveharford

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 16:35 »
Mine arrived today too. 3 for a fiver with 3 peppers also. 10 quid including postage. A fantastic deal and the quality of toms and peppers is superb.
IMG_20150519_162329.jpg

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 20:01 »
I received mine as plugs about a month ago, really happy with them- they look fab now.  I think they are cuttings TBH, not grafted.

chillimummy

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 20:29 »
I put my name down for free plants too so would be lovely to get a delivery.
If not then plenty of mine growing too   :)
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Anton

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 01:30 »
"Crimson Crush is an F1. Keeping sideshoots overwinter would be good if you can though"

How do you keep sideshoots overwinter?

Anton

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 08:08 »
"Crimson Crush is an F1. Keeping sideshoots overwinter would be good if you can though"

How do you keep sideshoots overwinter?
Anton

Root some sideshoots from your best plants in September, or take cuttings. Keep them somewhere cool & bright and water sparingly over winter, pot up again in Feb. Should result in earlier tomatoes. If I remember/my tomatoes don't get struck down I'm going to try this year.

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 12:08 »
If I remember/my tomatoes don't get struck down I'm going to try this year.

That was the plan here too, I'm still concerned about the graft though. If it's just there for vigour it's not a problem (although it doesn't really give fair test of the plant itself) but it it's required for blight resistance I don't see how they can sell seed and striking cuttings will be fruitless (if you pardon the pun).

I think they are cuttings TBH, not grafted.

Looks like a graft to me, I have plenty of experience with failed ones, does anyone want to confirm this is what they're supposed to look like  :nowink:

crimson_crush_graft.jpg

BabbyAnn

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 12:47 »
With regards to the graft - I doubt it will have any effect on the plant's blight resistance.

Most likely the grafts are a standard procedure for plant sales in general (I believe it makes them grow better and are usually more productive) - if the variety is still new, there might not be that many seeds available anyway so a good marketing method would be to grow a select few and take several cuttings off them and graft them on to the cheaper grafting lines grown in bulk if that makes sense. 

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 14:30 »
Out of interest, has anyone applied for and received the free plants they were offering?

And, keeping on topic, will those overwintered sideshoots keep alright in a cold polytunnel (my first season using it)?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 14:43 »
And, keeping on topic, will those overwintered sideshoots keep alright in a cold polytunnel (my first season using it)?
No, they'd need to be somewhere warmer than that.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 15:51 »
Thanks, thought that might be the case. I'll have to see if I can commandeer a windowledge  :D

AnneB

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 18:20 »
Out of interest, has anyone applied for and received the free plants they were offering?

The free plant offer for Crimson Crush was from Dobie's, not Sutton's, although they are all part of the same company now.  I applied and got an email comfirmation.    I am still waiting for them to arrive though, but Dobie's despatch schedule indicate they are sending this variety out this week.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 18:21 by AnneB »

BabbyAnn

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 08:33 »

The free plant offer for Crimson Crush was from Dobie's, not Sutton's, although they are all part of the same company now.  I applied and got an email comfirmation.    I am still waiting for them to arrive though, but Dobie's despatch schedule indicate they are sending this variety out this week.

I applied and received an e-mail with the details I'd typed in but it didn't actually confirm that I was one of the lucky ones in the free giveaway - did you get an actual reply or just the same?  I do hope I'm one of the lucky ones as this year I wasn't going to bother with tomatoes and now regretting it  ::)

xx
Crimson crush

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post July 19, 2015, 22:04
by Nicki85
xx
Crimson Crush

8 Replies
Last post March 23, 2023, 18:04
by Anton
xx
crimson crush

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 25, 2021, 10:06
by rowlandwells
clip
Crimson Crush

20 Replies
Last post June 08, 2023, 14:41
by Anton

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 40 queries.