New Raspberry canes - dead?

• 45 Replies

LotuSeed

Re: New Raspberry canes - dead?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2015, 19:37 »
The red raspberry canes I ordered bare root  a few years ago (this is my third season) were one year old, the gold were two years old. The one year old canes definitely took longer to show signs of life than the 2 year old ones. IIRC, it wasn't until last year that the red ones started to look like proper canes and bore some fruit. Are all of yours one year old canes?
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

barley

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 08:23 »

I emailed Pomona Fruits about mine today as still only 4 canes have sent up shoots. I got a very helpful reply saying they often see new canes taking until June to grow new shoots so I should not give up until mid-June. They have said if I have no luck by then, they will provide me with replacements in the autumn. So I now have renewed hope  :) and all my fingers and toes are crossed.

3 more of my  canes now coming to life  :D

I would take their advice and leave them longer until June as I'm sure they are slowly waking up - after all we haven't really had a heat wave yet have we  :nowink:

ptarmigan

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2015, 09:54 »
Out of 9, 6 are now showing signs of life, so I'm keeping fingers crossed that the other 3 (different variety) will perk up when it gets warm.

oldgrunge

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2015, 21:54 »
5 out of 6 of my Autumn Bliss have now produced shoots, it would seem they just need time.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2015, 08:04 »
Last night I dug a few of my canes up and I am pretty sure they are stone dead! The two that have sprung to life are full of leaves, but the other 10 are distictly twigs!

Looking at the roots, they have grown new roots compared to what was there when they were planted, but nothing esle since. I think I'll rip up half of them and use the space to grow squash instead!!

IMG_20150511_195547.jpg
IMG_20150511_195558.jpg

Goosegirl

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2015, 11:15 »
I don't like the look of the splits on the cane so keep pestering them for a refund or possible replacements if they have any left..
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 10:52 »
If anyone is looking to get some raspberries and cant find any for sale, I noticed whilst in Sainsbury's they have a load of Gooseberries, blackcurrants, blackberries and raspberries plants available. All £4 each. Only seem to have one variety of each.

I ended up getting two yellow raspberries which are full of lots of healthy growth, so they will replace a couple of the dead ones I have already.  It doesn't say on them what variety they are exactly which is a shame, but they look to be summer fruiting. Hopefully I'll get a small crop this year and will add to them next autumn.

barley

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 21:38 »
its amazing what a bit of warmth does  :D

my dead canes are not so dead - looked at them today and wow we have life

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2015, 12:47 »
Last night I dug a few of my canes up and I am pretty sure they are stone dead! The two that have sprung to life are full of leaves, but the other 10 are distictly twigs!

Looking at the roots, they have grown new roots compared to what was there when they were planted, but nothing esle since. I think I'll rip up half of them and use the space to grow squash instead!!

That's what mine looked like when I dug them up.  I have to say this gardening lark can be difficult because 2 of my new ones have been damaged by the sun  :wacko:

andimac

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 08:29 »
I checked mine a week ago (I'm away again at the moment) and they are all now showing new growth. 15/15.
The older plants which went into the same piece of ground at the same time are way ahead of the bare root plants. I suspect that this year will be mostly about the new plants becoming established.
By next year, I will probably be complaining about the rasps spreading like weeds!

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2015, 11:35 »
How's everyone else's doing at this time of year, I'm afraid mine are an expensive disaster.

3 of 5 plants have done nothing, one has two shoots a few inches high, another had one shoot a couple of inches high... This isn't normal right?!

Flowertot

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2015, 18:49 »
Mine are a disaster too  :(. Only 4 have shoots and I pulled up the other 14 a couple of weeks ago - dead as Dodos.  I am going to take the supplier up on its offer to replace them in the autumn and pray that the next batch do better. I'm still not sure what went wrong though - I don't really think it's the supplier's fault, I suspect I must have done something wrong. But what? Even though I told them that I think it's probably my fault, they have said that they'll replace them. Very nice of them  :D.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2015, 20:15 »
July 19th
I was complaining back in the day that my newly planted canes looked dead but I am now picking raspberries from them and they are big and solid berries.  Very happy, much better than the small, but plentiful, berries I've gathered from my established ( maybe too old) bushes at the front of my plot.  Still they'll all go into the same jam making marathon at the end of the season!

oldgrunge

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2015, 21:36 »
All my newly planted autumn raspberries eventually came up, they are now about 450m.m tall, and looking very healthy.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2015, 19:00 »
Still looking at dead sticks here, a bit of a disaster really and I am told raspberries are easy!!!
 >:( :mad: >:(

xx
Raspberry - dead?

Started by rcf100 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2012, 03:42
by Trillium
xx
where to buy raspberry canes

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 14:09
by allotmentann
xx
RaspBerry Canes

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2016, 19:27
by lfcevans
xx
Raspberry Canes

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 20, 2010, 20:11
by DavidT

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 39 queries.