Candling video, is this one dead?

• 6 Replies

nitrochicken

Candling video, is this one dead?
« on: April 07, 2009, 22:00 »
Hi everyone,
I've been reading on the forum for a while and decided to register so I can hopefully get some advice.
I built myself an incubator couple of weeks ago with an auto egg turner and its having its first run with 6 eggs I got from ebay. Its day 9 today and I decided to try candling the eggs. I video'd them all so I could look back over them later.
This is my first go but I'm pretty sure at least 5 of the eggs are developing ok, they all had a dark black splodges in, some with veins visible and all were moving around on their own in the egg quite energetically!
I'm just not sure about one of the eggs, it has a dark sploge but doesn't appear to move on its own. It also seems to have a feignt line around the circumference of the egg.
Click the picture below and it should take you to the video I took. If anyone would be good enough to give me their opinion I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Dale

Briony

• Experienced Member
Re: Candling video, is this one dead?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 22:09 »
I would say  :(  no chick, but I may be wrong.

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 22:20 »
i would leave it in the incy for a bit longer, i've been fooled by what i thought was a dead egg before, found your vid a bit creepy, kept expecting you to wave a wand and the egg to disappear

nitrochicken

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 22:29 »
Thanks, I will do that I think.
The crazy hand gestures and pointing were to my girlfrield who was filming! Its pretty exciting stuff this candling especially if you haven't done it before. I removed the sound as I'm not sure people on here would appreciate our brummy accents!

Vember

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 09:29 »
Hi Dale

I couldn't tell if there were any blood vessels leading up to the blob ??? If there aren't the chances are that the wee thing is dead :(

Just a quick note that if you are candling eggs try not to turn them the same way continuos as you did in the video. It can do damage by unwinding the chalazae  which is what supports the yolk and the embryo :)

Sarah :)

nitrochicken

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 16:17 »
Thanks for that Sarah, I didn't know about turning the eggs too much. I'll try and limit the turning in future when I'm candling. I think I'll leave the egg for a couple more days, check it again and if theres no change I'll bin it.
As its my first attempt with a diy incubator I'll be really chuffed to get 1 healthy chick and at least 5 are looking good at this stage.

If I see moving embryo's at 9 days is it common for things to go wrong after that if I keep everything the same?

Thanks

Dale

Vember

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 16:30 »
I've had some just give up 2/3 days before hatch, but not very often :)

Congrats on the 5,  keep us updated how things are going :D

Sarah :)

xx
Is candling really necessary?

Started by Ttedoldi on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 25, 2015, 08:42
by joyfull
xx
candling help!!!!

Started by milly8 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 16:57
by jonny1982
xx
Candling

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 17:57
by chuckmum
xx
Egg Candling

Started by babe on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 11:26
by babe

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 38 queries.