absolutely shocking if true, farmers abusing ducks

• 29 Replies

juliec

• Experienced Member
absolutely shocking if true, farmers abusing ducks
« on: February 08, 2011, 12:45 »

has any one heard about this, if its true its awful, I cant believe that any one could treat ducks like this.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110208/tuk-exclusive-farm-staff-caught-abusing-45dbed5.html

Jools

Beakybird

Re: absolutely shocking if true, farmers abusing ducks
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 13:29 »
Sorry Jools, I daren't even look  :( I can't abide any form of animal cruelty and any images (whether visual or mental) will haunt me. But whatever it is, it wouldn't surprise me as the cruelty that 'humans' are capable of seems to know no bounds :(

P.S. Just noticed, you're from Warrington (quite close to me - Wigan) :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 13:30 by Beakybird »

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 13:44 »
You don't want to look at this - I have tears in my eyes as I write this.

I just cannot believe how unbelievably cruel some people are but unfortunately it is nothing new - I can remember a case with Bernard Matthews where workers were seen kicking turkeys around.

Thanks for posting this though, people need to know what goes on.
Helen

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 14:47 »
Nothing surprises me. Years ago I worked on farms (with horses not farm animals) and as a concequence I have been a veggie for 30 years, though to my shame I have never been able to give up milk.

I won't watch it either, it'd give me nightmares too. :(

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 14:54 »
Farmers are split into two groups.  "Them that 'ave and them that's going to".   

How many time has we read in the papers about farmers leaving pigs to turn to cannibalism to survive.  Horses and donkeys with hooves so long they cannot walk.

I believe it is going on far more than we know, and we only know when it is (nearly) too late or lots of animals having to be put down after the event.   I'm a confirmed carnivore but I believe animal welfare is not taken seriously enough, and farmers are going to have to'open up' about their animal keeping practises and let the officialls in in time to prevent this abuse.    Cheers  (reluctantly)  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 15:28 »
I actually saw this on the BBC this morning - it was absolutely awful. What is more the meat was being sold as "free range". I will not buy meat from supermarkets - much prefer a local, old fashioned butcher so that you know where your meat and poultry is coming from.

I really hope that these people are prosecuted and that the supermarket involved does not get away with saying - we did not know what was going on.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 16:29 »
I know some of you have said you find it too distressing to watch, but I think it's important that it is watched.

Waitrose has said that they're stopping using that supplier, but then what happens to the ducks that are left?

:(

helens-hens

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 17:14 »
I know some of you have said you find it too distressing to watch, but I think it's important that it is watched.

Waitrose has said that they're stopping using that supplier, but then what happens to the ducks that are left?

:(
Exactly the same thing crossed my mind Andreadon  :(

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 17:47 »
We saw it on the news this morning too, it was awful! poor little things and they were supposed to be expensive high welfare ducks too!  And free range, what in SHEDS?

They need flaying alive those 4 men!!!!     :mad: :mad: :mad:

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 18:40 »
It was just terrible when I watched it on the news - the video was shocking.
What really annoyed me was the statement 'the RSPCA are 'considering' prosecution'.
It shouldn't have been about considering.... it should have happened by now. Cruel people indeed.

I am a strong believer in what goes around, comes around.... they will get their just desserts.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Alan

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 19:10 »
I think by my previous bleat my thoughts on farmers is well understood.  Last year I was propping up the bar in my local hostelry, (a country pub infested by the landed gentry) When I heard this pearl of wisdom.

"A farmer is a person who will not lift the cheek of his A*** to pass wind unless he is subsidised,  and if he follows through will will bleat untill he gets compensation".

I bought the narator a pint.   Cheers,   Tony.

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 19:33 »
Not very nice at all, how can people be this cruel! Tell you what I wouldn't mind swinging that set of 4 ****** round by their necks! Thing is they wouldn't tackle anyone big enough to fight back! SICK, SICK, SICK! Supermarket should be fined aswell, you should always keep tabs on your supply chain and where you are getting your produce from, if you don't then you deserve to get done for it!

Makes me really want to raise my own birds for meat at home, only thing is I know I will get too attached!

Get em fined, get em sacked and throw them in a very large pen of angry ducks!

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 20:10 »
We saw it on the news this morning too, it was awful! poor little things and they were supposed to be expensive high welfare ducks too!  And free range, what in SHEDS?

They need flaying alive those 4 men!!!!     :mad: :mad: :mad:

whole heartedly agree, those men should be prosecuted at least!

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 20:14 »
it's absolutely rite what's  been said by all of you.and yes the people that produce and look after animals for food production have a duty of care towards the welfare of there animals they look after and for these employed by there company who let them treat defenceless ducks  like this they are equally scum as the perpetrators of such an act of cruelty >:(

as for the RSPA to say there considering prosecution is a fast they shouldn't be considering they should be taking both the company and its employees to court if only to remind other producers of there obligations to maintain a standard of animal welfare and the consequences should they not uphold this as suppliers to the public food chain and the courts should dish out heavy fines and imprisonment to those not in compliance the RSPCA seem to have forgotten what they stand for i always like to give a few bob when i see them collecting for the work they do have they forgot who the pays the piper :(

where i applaud the decision made by Waitrose to stop using this supplier its never the less a fact that Waitrose have one  presumes regular inspection of their suppliers premises why was this not brought to light by there inspectors was it not for a caring person who truly believes in the care of all animals  this carrying person exposing such things we would have still been buying these  ducks from household name Waitrose not knowing  the cruel way these Ducks where treated
                        brings to mind closing the door after the horse has bolted  :blush:

i don't buy Bernard Mathews turkey's i haven't done for some time now ever heard of Defra being mentioned in all this DEFRA who's Defra  :mad:

Dreamer@45

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 21:11 »
Those involved need to grow a heart. Very sad viewing indeed.

xx
Farmers

Started by danfinn1 on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2015, 13:17
by tosca100
xx
Overheard at a Farmers' Market

Started by gillie on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 08:23
by Mrs Bee
exclamation
Farmers Weekly warns of organised theft of pure breed chickens

Started by hillfooter on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 20:39
by joyfull
xx
I want chickens, husband absolutely does not - HELP!

Started by Lottie Mary on Chicken Chat

39 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 12:06
by andreadon

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 39 queries.