Briggs Stratton only running on Choke

• 2 Replies

houseman77

Briggs Stratton only running on Choke
« on: August 06, 2010, 18:48 »
Hi

I have a Merry Tiller fitted with a Briggs & Stratton engine that is fitted with a Pulsa-Jet carb. It will only run when the manual choke is open. There is no diaphragm fitted to the carb as it is one of the early models. Any help in rectifying the above would be greatly appreciated. many thanks

Gwiz

Re: Briggs Stratton only running on Choke
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 18:59 »
It sounds as if the carb is blocked. I'd expect this if the engine has sat around for a long time with stale fuel in it.
The only thing you can do is strip it down as far as you can and spray a lot of carb cleaner though it, followed by compressed air.
At work I'd try and hour in a ultra-sonic cleaning tank first, and then use the carb cleaner, a couple of cycles of U/S tank and carb cleaner would usually do the trick.
I take it you have removed the main jet and inspected it for damage?
 :)

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
Re: Briggs Stratton only running on Choke
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 11:46 »
Hello housman

All pulsa-jets have diaphragms, with the possible exception of the one fitted on the tiny fuel tank, more often seen on 2.5hp engines. As the engine runs on choke it can’t be too blocked. If you have fiddled with the mixture screw, turn in until it stops (don’t over-tighten), out 1.75 turns and the engine should run. Final adjustment is, when warm and revving hard,  screw the adjuster out until the revs fall, in until the revs fall, then back to halfway in between.

Almost all spares are available for the 3hp pulsa-jet engine. If briggs-bits won’t help either your description was too vague or they can’t be bothered. Your local B & S agent can get almost any spare you need, take the broken part and the model, type, code, details to ensure you get the right part.
R Tallentire

xx
Briggs n stratton.

Started by denbo73 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post February 14, 2007, 17:07
by Gwiz
xx
5HP Briggs and Stratton

Started by andygregs156 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2012, 12:32
by Gwiz
xx
Briggs and stratton

Started by Gerry Norris on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2015, 20:54
by jezza
xx
Briggs and Stratton 5 hp

Started by Praxxus on Equipment Shed

47 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 15:16
by Praxxus

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 38 queries.