HIGH'S AND LOW'S

• 28 Replies

wapello

• Experienced Member
HIGH'S AND LOW'S
« on: September 02, 2017, 16:41 »
 Now the season is comming to the end for most stuff what has been your high and low in growing what you planted
out,, mine was not planting enough spuds, (i have a few planted for Christmas) and to few  onions, and the brocoli was eaten by caterpillars but we had a few feeds from the brocoli out of ten cauiliflowers only had two good ones,,,

Ive been over run with runner beans, beetroot, carrots (planted three types) cues, ive got one melon plant with
five melons got a knowing look in the shop when i got a box of tights, when i told her they were to support melons
 i did not bother to explain,    :nowink: and chilles, and peppers, thats it one of my freezers is vac packed with goodies to last the winter
Colin

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: HIGH'S AND LOW'S
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 19:30 »
We have done fairly well this year. There seem to be less pests around. No caterpillars in the cabbages, little slug damage, little allium leaf miner problems. Rain when we needed it.
Even the tomatoes have not got blight yet.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:10 »
got a knowing look in the shop when i got a box of tights, when i told her they were to support melons  i did not bother to explain,    :nowink:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'm pretty happy so far.  The only things which have been a bit of a let down are onions, which are small due to the dry spell earlier in the year.  So far the corn, french beans and tomatoes have been the huge croppers, but the drying beans are loaded with pods and I think I have a lot of squash lurking in the foliage of the squash patch.

Greenhouse peppers have been great, but chillies now taking over as the show stoppers.  Early spuds were big croppers and I still have a couple of roots of Kestrel yet to dig.  The main crop spuds have grown lovely lush top growth and are only just starting to look like they may be going over, so I have hopeful expectations there as well  :)

My surprise success was mini aubergines.  We've had loads and the plants are still making more.  They are on the list for next year.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 09:50 »
Top successes that really made us smile: sweetcorn in the polytunnel, chillies of all sorts but the jalapenos and padrons especially, cabbages, calabrese, carrots, strawberries under cover, cucumbers, north Georgia candy roaster squashes, apples and flowers for cutting

Disappointments that we have had to get over:  beetroot mainly eaten by rodents, parsnips refusing to germinate, sweet potatoes not developing any roots, courgettes overshadowed by sunflowers, onions very small due to dry weather, outdoor tomatoes blighted (except Crimson Crush), figs caught by late frost

and unknown as yet... that Yacon  :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 10:49 »
Pluses Tomatoes, sweetcorn and onions in the polytunnel/greenhouse. Parsnips after the third time of sowing, celeriac, beetroot, French beans, courgettes, all fruit including apples, pears, plums. black currants and gooseberries.
Minuses Onions in open ground very small, pumpkins, leek (half of them are bolting), carrots (dratted carrot-root flies)

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 15:30 »
Here in Tenhens land we have done reasonably well for tomatoes , grown in the Morrisons cut flower buckets. Broad beans planted last Autumn were tasty but not high yielding.  Early spuds in buckets bags of flavour but not as many as hoped.

Onions not faired well , swede , beetroot , cabbage and Iceberg lettuce all dented the enthusiasm for growing.

Had better years , planning for next year and aiming to get the hang of potatoes in bags. 
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 15:34 »
The high for me this year was being presented with the best kept allotment certificate in the club last night. Four years of graft paid off!

Crop wise, highs include a great potato harvest, dwarf French beans, strawberries, rhubarb, peas, tomatoes, chillies, spring onions.

Disappointed with red onions which bolted, swede leaves destroyed by cabbage butterfly caterpillars, very inconsistent carrot germination, sweet peppers not too good.

But it has been great fun and another year of learning.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 18:37 »
Low points; Small garlic and onions; lost all early leeks to bolting.

High points; Crimson Crush toms; all types of beans; ridge cucumbers.

Bonus: Being given a small summer house being currently converted to a luxury shed.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 19:08 »
The high for me this year was being presented with the best kept allotment certificate in the club last night. Four years of graft paid off!

Crop wise, highs include a great potato harvest, dwarf French beans, strawberries, rhubarb, peas, tomatoes, chillies, spring onions.

Disappointed with red onions which bolted, swede leaves destroyed by cabbage butterfly caterpillars, very inconsistent carrot germination, sweet peppers not too good.

But it has been great fun and another year of learning.

Congratulations on the award. What a lovely recognition for your had work 😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 19:08 »
Low points; Small garlic and onions; lost all early leeks to bolting.

High points; Crimson Crush toms; all types of beans; ridge cucumbers.

Bonus: Being given a small summer house being currently converted to a luxury shed.

I like the sound of a luxury shed, you'll need to share photos of course

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 19:54 »
I didn't expect to get anything in this year, as my decking and pergola were in a bad way (lots of rot). I'm very 'wobbly'  ::), so with everything from the deck moved to the lawn, I didn't want to take the risk...

After a false start (offers that didn't work out), my eldest (Kai) set to work, and I have a lovely new deck!  :D

Highs:  I've never had so many tomatoes!  I'm just about tomato'd out now, and looking forward to saucing those stored in the freezer (much easier to remove the skins/seeds/excess water).

Lows:  I've never had so few female flowers on the cucumbers and squash (Uchiki Kuri), although the courgettes have been fine.

Roll on next year, when I reinstall my irrigation system!  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

al78

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 20:34 »
Highs: Lots of potatoes, with very little slug damage. Three bags at home for storage. Carrots, some grew for once. Leeks are doing very well and are under fine netting, so hopefully shouldn't succumb to the leaf miner.

Lows: Everything else. Fruit bushes are doing nothing but taking up space (again) so are coming out. Brassicas rather disappointing but have some leafy stuff to harvest, not as much as previous years though. French beans disappointing, seemed to struggle this year, perhaps due to the dry first half of summer. I have spent too much time working on the commuinity allotment (because almost everyone else has such rammed full lives) that my own allotment has become neglected and needs a good going over in the coming months. Next year will be different.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 20:37 »
I like the sound of a luxury shed, you'll need to share photos of course
[/quote]

I  plead guilty to a bit of bragging when I used the term 'luxury'.

But picture my present shed! Picture a 6' x 3' stark sentry box on a long forgotten frontier. No space to swing a bulimic stoat, let alone a mature cat.

It is raining..

A depressed man huddles within it ; hemmed in by rake, fork and strimmer, forced to go outside even to check his wristwatch.

Two weeks ago I was the first to chance on an ill-written notice taped to the allotment gates. An 8'x6' summerhouse, free to the dismantler and transporter.

Free is my favourite price...

My gardening mate has a Transit. The sections of the summerhouse now lean against my old shed.

A new base has been laid. Money expended on cement, timber, screws and other necessaries.

We have tested the new timber floor to ensure it's dimensions will fulfill its most vital function - to seat two retired men on folding chairs with a small table between them, crafted from a pallet. This table will carry our flasks, mugs, Custard Creams, and budget Kit-Kats.

I am from the school of gardening which believes every hour of toil at spade or hoe should be matched by an hour of tea-drinking, eating stuff and gossiping.

The new shed walls go up shortly. In a week or two we will sit like lords in the dry, gazing through the open double doors at the less fortunate, toiling in the drizzle.

I'll step outside to put a few more meal worms on my robins' tree stump. Then ease back into my chair, looking round at the neat racks of tools, the orderly shelves, the sheer 8' x 6' opulence of it all...

"Lidl Club biscuit?", my mate will say..

I pour another drop of tea. My mate hands me the biscuit..

"The best revenge, Russ", I shall say, "is living well..."

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 10:39 by juvenal »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 21:35 »
Brock the badger ate all my carrots.  >:( >:( >:( >:(
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

victoria park

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 06:56 »
My seed onions were a disaster this year, and probably due to the the absolutely dreadful compost I bought. In fact seed germination for many veg was subsequently a real chore this year.

On the bright side, my darling old cat suddenly returned home this week, after going missing in action just over a year ago ! Having her chipped proved to be a good idea after all.  :D :) :) Delighted. She's got lots of stories to tell.

xx
how high

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 00:04
by billathome65
xx
Peas how high

Started by Fire2920 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 08:17
by DD.
xx
High altitude - Please help - I'm new!

Started by V3G3TABL3 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2008, 22:11
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Peas-how high?

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 20:44
by peapod

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 54 queries.