Gerbil toys

• 6 Replies

Raven81

Gerbil toys
« on: January 05, 2012, 12:47 »
I have been a bit silly and gone and got 3 gerbils.  I went for 2 but they were in a litter of 3 so the one left would have been lonely... as animal lovers you'll know the sob story!!
They told me my gerbilarium would be big enough for the 3 and it is just about, however, I would really like to get them some new toys.
It is one of the traditional types with a tank at the bottom and the cage on the top (I can't post a short enough link to a picture).   
I would like to get them something to play on that hangs down from the top platform, however, the only things I can find that are suitable tie onto the top platform, gerbils like to chew and will very quickly chew through the ties.  The things I can find with metal clips all seem to be too big.
Does anyone have any ideas either what I can use or where I can get something?
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Gerbil toys
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 13:34 »
Staffies are softer than you think.

Raven81

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 16:24 »
Yes, thankyou.  I would like either to find something to hang from the roof or the higher platform so I can increase the usable area a bit as there is a lot of wasted space.

They're OK for the minute and my other 2 were happy in there but I would like to prevent a problem before it starts.  We will get a bigger cage in time.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 16:34 »
HI, i have a gerbil and it is hard to find anything which he doesn't destroy in minutes, I can't even find a suitable wheel for him, I have contacted suppliers about their products but to no avail, I found a coconut shell from pets at home has survived, so I always have a supply of cardboard tubes from toilet rolls etc, and tea boxes, like you say nothing seems suitable, sorry I can't be of any help.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 16:37 »
What about buying some key rings - just the ring bit - and threading the toy on that, then through the bars of the cage.  You can get some fairly thin flexible ones  :)

Raven81

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 16:45 »
Sneezer, I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds this!  I have friends and family collecting cardboard tubes for me.

New Shoot, that is a really good idea as there are some things I have found but as I said previously they seem to have fabric ties which of course will only last ten minutes!

spottymint

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 19:48 »
I used to buy rat hammochs from a lady who used seatbelt type webbing for straps & used a split brass curtain rings threaded on to hang them.

Like these,

http://www.singermachines.co.uk/split-rings-19mm.htm

in time they knawed them. The hammochs that is.

xx
Poorly gerbil

Started by Raven81 on Pets without Feathers

25 Replies
Last post November 30, 2011, 21:52
by Raven81
xx
indestructable dog toys

Started by dmg on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post March 24, 2014, 11:19
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 40 queries.