egg with no shell

• 6 Replies

RebeccaM

egg with no shell
« on: July 17, 2009, 22:01 »
Hi,  can anyone give me any advice one this :

I have 6 chickens on my allotment, all brilliant layers, about 7 months old. The problem is that over the last few days there has been 1 egg on 2 seperate days where there is no shell. When I have gone to collect the eggs, in one of the boxes were 2 perfect eggs and then 1 yolk on top of the straw and a strange white film stuff (which is, I presume the bit that is between the egg and the shell but absolutley no shell - why would this be happening ????

Kate and her Ducks

Re: egg with no shell
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 22:51 »
Do they have oyster shell available at all times? Are they on layers pellets?

If yes to both then it may just be one of those things, especially as they are pretty young. I have one who never lays anything but soft eggs. I don't worry about it as it doesn't seem to bother her but sometimes thay do struggle to lay them which can take a lot out of them.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

RebeccaM

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 22:56 »
Hi,  yes they have oyster shell and laying pellets. I thought it may just be one of those things as they have layed a few soft egs before. I am totally new to this but they seem very happy and most days they all lay so I reckon i'll just leave them to it for now

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 23:13 »
Woundn't worry about it then. I have had a couple in the past but always one offs. I've given up on Emily though, it is just the way she is!

Caralou

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 23:20 »
Are they wormed as that can also cause chooks to lay soft eggs? Other than that she may just be taking her time to get used to laying properly  :)

RebeccaM

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 23:23 »
no their not wormed, is this something I can do myself, if so how ??

Caralou

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 23:33 »
Pop onto petmeds (clicky there) and pick up some flubenvet. It's by far the best wormer and will last ages and that's the best price I've found it at. I boil up some pasta and add a tablespoon of cod liver oil and a pinch of flubenvet per bird (easier than measuring when you have small bird numbers) and give it to them late afternoon and do it for seven days in a row. Will get rid of all worms and will help with soft eggs. It's recommended to worm every three months, or if you suspect a problem by symptoms such as soft eggs :D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 23:37 by Caralou »

xx
Shell-less egg

Started by lmpd on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 07, 2011, 12:46
by joyfull
xx
No-shell egg

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 20:49
by bantam novice
xx
No shell

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 01, 2008, 21:22
by mumsy
xx
no shell ?

Started by della25 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 13, 2011, 11:39
by kegs

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 38 queries.