using straw

• 19 Replies

hillfooter

Re: using straw
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 21:44 »
There are such things as straw mites which infest old damp and dirty straw but they don't infest shavings.  I once was using a shooting hide made of old bales of straw to shoot rabbits and the next day came out in a terribly itchy body rash over my arm and back which was due to resting on the straw bales and having an allergic reaction to the mites.  However if you regularly replace it and don't let it become damp and smelly there's no particular problem.  Chopped straw is best and you can mix it with shavings for more absorbancy.  It's often used in this form for horse bedding.  I use chopped straw in the nestboxes as the chx eat it less than shavings and I use shavings on the floor of the house and under perches which are designed so that the chx only walk on the central channel.
Regards
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 21:47 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 08:11 »
I use shredded paper under straw in the ark over a layer of newspaper (all liberally laced with Diatom). It all goes in the compost whenever I feel like it. On the floor of the run (only recently complete) I've put a thin layer of straw which they love and which I plan to rake up regularly - again to the compost.

I noticed this morning it's a little whiffey, so that's a job for later today when they're out free ranging. I use Stalosan F on the floor, too.

I shall only burn it if we discover we have mites ... we don't have an ideal place for a fire in the garden.

two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 14:15 »
Hi Beulah,  I assume from your post that you've probavly read this thread about Red Mite control  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=45792.msg536986#msg536986

A word of caution on sprinkling Diatom or indeed other dusts in the litter especially if the chx can walk in it.  Chx are particularly susceptible to airbourne respiratory diseases and a single dust particle can carry enormous numbers of viruses (I think i've seen figures in the millions quoted) not to mention the undesirability of the mechanical effects of dust on the lungs.  We all know about farmers lung, asbestos and coal dust caused diseases it therefore makes sense for you and your chx to try to keep dust down to a minimum.  I use Diatom too in my red mite control and I think it's reasonably effective so i want to contine to do so, but to cut the dust down I now only apply it as a slurry painted onto the perches and into corners where I know red mite have colonised in the past.  It dries to a light off white coating which isn't too dusty but non the less still seems to work.  It also dries the droppings and stops them sticking to the perches where they fall through on to shavings on the floor where the chx can't walk.  To mix the "paint" add the diatom to the water and mix as you increase the concentration to a creamy liquid slurry.  Actually I use a disinfectant base rather than water, Vanodine W18, which i hope kills any viruses /bacteria too.  I don't know for sure that his is any use as a disinfectant once it has dried  but seems to make sense.

For more info on the possible dangers of using Diatom or similar products see http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/contents.htm
Best of luck
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 14:22 by hillfooter »

mumsy

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 22:38 »
OMG.........  Makes you think though!!   I use alot of diatom  :(   

karlooben

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 17:25 »
also shows we learn new things everyday  :D
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

xx
straw in the run ???

Started by needssomehelp on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 05, 2011, 21:46
by Hennery
xx
Hay or Straw

Started by derekwendy on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post November 16, 2009, 16:10
by beulah59
xx
straw

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 10, 2008, 19:22
by slowef
xx
Hay or straw?

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 19:12
by Catsmuvva

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 39 queries.