Batten down the hatches! Storm Helene

• 16 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Batten down the hatches! Storm Helene
« on: September 17, 2018, 20:45 »
I hope everyone has looked at their forecasts for overnight and tomorrow.
Here we are not in the storm path - but winds still look a bit lively according to the forecasts, so I've shut the greenhouses up tonight to be on the safe side.

Take care everyone.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Batten down the hatches! Storm Helene
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 21:17 »
Thanks for the reminder!

I may have a rather soggy and windy trip to the fracture clinic in the morning  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 17:52 »
I have shut the greenhouse now.

Should be fun going on a WI trip on a canal for the day  ??? ??? Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 17:56 »
Thanks for the reminder!
I may have a rather soggy and windy trip to the fracture clinic in the morning  :ohmy:
Are you anticipating falling over in the dark while greenhouse bound  :D, or have you already hurt yourself  :ohmy:

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 22:04 »
Phew - looks like we will be getting gusts of just under 70mph here in Ayrshire. My neighbour hadn't finished picking his apples yet... although I guess he has now!

Christine

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 19:11 »
There's a decidedly large tree come down and parked itself by the doors of two downstairs social housing flats around the corner - gardens and fences demolished. It'll be some days before the housing association finds someone with the appropriately large chainsaw required to move that - large sized commercial job there.

Have reassembled most of the greenhouse but am short of clips and the "children" who have the spares have gone on holiday to Cornwall this morning.

Haven't dared to go up to the allotment to see if the fruit trees are still in place. Have been disinclined to go out as it's been a bit windy. The local community supported veg growing scheme sent all the volunteer work shares home as it's up on a hill and it was dangerous to life and limb.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 19:39 »
Gusts of 78 mph recorded at Carlisle Airport. Got quite a large old tree down in the back. Fortunately the only damage it caused is to a fence with three panels destroyed. Plenty of large branches down in a small bit of woodland that we own, any one of which would have caused serious injury had it fallen on one of us.

More worrying is the fact that a couple of ridge tiles have been dislodged on the roof and the guy who does our roofing work is on holiday until next week

Pescador

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 21:48 »
And now there's storm Ali arriving!
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 12:57 »
and then...Storm Bronagh brings potential for very strong winds on Thursday evening and overnight into Friday morning. https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/warnings?ns_linkname=news_central&ns_campaign=bbc_weather&ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter

P.S. I thought storm Helene had been renamed Ali, but could have got it wrong  :unsure:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 13:24 »
I am sorry to hear about the Gales in the North, especially when there is such damage.

By comparison, this on the South Downs must just be a gentle breeze.  Take care everybody.   Mrs Bouquet

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 14:22 »
We didn't get it too bad but the chimney cowl fell off due to the metal ties having broken, and our old chicken shed fell over yet again, so we're going to put up some props behind it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

al78

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 22:34 »
and then...Storm Bronagh brings potential for very strong winds on Thursday evening and overnight into Friday morning. https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/warnings?ns_linkname=news_central&ns_campaign=bbc_weather&ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter

P.S. I thought storm Helene had been renamed Ali, but could have got it wrong  :unsure:

Helene was a former hurricane that became extra-tropical before moving over Ireland and the extreme west UK. Ali came after that hitting northern Ireland, northern England and Scotland. Tonight and tomorrow it is the souths turn for some poor weather (like we haven't had enough grot this week), but looks like the strongest winds will be overnight. Finally, there is another windy spell coming over on Sunday, quite a bit of uncertainty over how strong that storm will be. A nuisance for those of us with office jobs that we are about to have both weekend days soaking wet in-between dry days when I am at work  >:(.

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 15:06 »
My runner beans are trying to get next door !

I knew the wire cored washing line from the tree to the garage would do the trick ! ;)

Lardman

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 20:23 »
2 apples trees flattened  :( and a whole lot of apples on the floor - but the greenhouses survived  :D  The fence panels may have gone awol too but for the fact I haven't replaced them after the last storm blew them away  :blush:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 22:19 »
Thanks for the reminder!
Are you anticipating falling over in the dark while greenhouse bound  :D, or have you already hurt yourself  :ohmy:

:lol:

Broke a couple of bones in my foot 6 weeks ago when I slipped on a screwdriver I'd left on the stairs … it would all have been fine if I wasn't holding sheets in order to do the washing.  So, DIY is absolutely fine but housework is bad for you (the screwdriver would have caused no problems at all if I hadn't been doing the housework!).

Fracture clinic said I could take the air boot off, so today I have managed to start the car first time (it's been sitting on the drive for a month) and went shopping, hurrah!  :D

xx
Batten down the hatches on Wednesday.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

37 Replies
Last post November 03, 2023, 18:43
by Growster...
xx
Forget storm Ciara Storm Dennis is on the way

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

18 Replies
Last post February 16, 2020, 21:46
by Growster...
clip
Did any one get any storm damage?, we did

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post February 12, 2020, 16:18
by Christine
xx
Storm Damage

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2021, 17:52
by GraciesGran

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 56 queries.