Lettuce

• 17 Replies

sclarke624

Lettuce
« on: June 10, 2008, 02:47 »
I planted some Suttons "salad bowl" lettuce this year.  Its loverly stuff, can't get enough of it.  NO special taste just like it and the texture.  I normally hate lettuce won't go near it i.e. Romaine lettuce tastes bitter to me and don't like the texture of butterheads or the taste of little gem.  Salad bowl can be sown until July.

So if you don't normally eat lettuce try Salad bowl.  I'm gonna try the red salad bowl next year.

Also sowed some Thompsons "spicey mixed salad leaves" I got free with a mag the OH loves them.  It contains mizuna, mibuna, Mustard 'Red giant',  greek cress and green pak choi.  If you like landcress you'll like these.  They can be sown April till September outdoors.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
Lettuce
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:50 »
I do agree, shop bought lettuce is horrid. Being able to grow varieties the shops can not sell because they wilt so quickly, we take put them in the salad bowl as soon as we pick-wash & spin (salad spinners are wonderful gadgets) then eat them.

I noticed in the past several newbies were buying ice berg seeds because they knew the variety from the shops. But only the first year. After that they were converted.
If it rots compost it
If it burns burn it
If it is chocolate eat it

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
Lettuce
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 10:13 »
How far apart do Salad bowl lettuces have to be thinned to ?

Jazzbyrd
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

sclarke624

Lettuce
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 15:35 »
Jazzy.....as they are cut and come again mine are relly close like inch apart.  I didn't thin at all just put seeds straight in bed, can't bear to chuck any little seeds that have grown away by thinning, lack or room and laziness.  I reckon though everyseed I sowed came up cos there is loads.  I'll do a pic when get a mo.  There are 1300 seeds in the pack and it cos £1.49.

Ps can't stand iceberg either tastes watery to me.  That salad bowl came up quite quick as well although packet says 8-12 weeks from sow to pick, depends what size leaves you want I guess.

Gonna do some more in one of me large troughs.

sclarke624

Lettuce
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 15:37 »
ove salad spinners amazing how much water comes off.

Sheila

sclarke624

Lettuce
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 16:35 »
Here you go Jazzy

These pics are from 20th May:

Top pic Radish (mix of packets), Kohl Rabbi (can't wait to see what that tastes like), Chartwell Romaine lettuce, SALAD BOWL, Carrot, Celery, burp cucumbers and Brocoli.

The salad bowl lettuce did seem to blow over to carrot bit or I moved some compost don't know.  And a rom lettuce seemed to find its way to the SB lettuce as well.

Close up in bottom pic where you can see I am also growing some coca cola. :lol:

PS.. FYIslad bowl are reffered to as an oak leave lettuce.

gobs

Lettuce
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 16:39 »
Grown in the ground they can get rather large, so a few inches between plants can help with air circulation. :wink:

Depends, what size leaf stage you intend to cut them regularly.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
Lettuce
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 16:43 »
OOhh thanks for posting the photos ~~ you have done very well !! I will get some salad bowl tomorrow as we love salads in this house  :D I have a spicy lettuce mix growing quite well at the moment and some Cos lettuce. My beetroot hasn't done well at all :( and my parsnips died a death I think!! Never mind eh. Its funny I have lettuce growing in my swiss chard row and I have no idea how they got there  :lol:

Jazzbyrd

GreenOwl

Lettuce
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 16:46 »
Isn't it getting a bit hot for Lettuce to germinate?  (Yes I know the weathers set to turn tomorrow but I'm hoping that won't last).

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
Lettuce
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 16:47 »
ooh I dunno .....some of the packets say you can sow through to July or August ??

Maybe one of experts can verify

Jazzb yrd

gobs

Lettuce
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 16:50 »
I think, Owl is right, better to chose a cool week to sow lettuce.

sclarke624

Lettuce
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 17:03 »
Isn't it getting a bit hot for Lettuce to germinate?

Didn't know about that, such a useful forum.

No doubt we won't have long to wait for a cool week.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Lettuce
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 17:17 »
I'll sow through to at least July.

Just had a word with the lettuce seed on the patio. They say they are germinating in their pot very nicely, thank you, despite the sun! As long as you keep them moist, they're fine.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
Lettuce
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 17:31 »
Thanks DD!!

Jazzbyrd

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Lettuce
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 17:40 »
Quote from: "DD."
Just had a word with the lettuce seed on the patio. They say they are germinating in their pot very nicely, thank you, despite the sun! As long as you keep them moist, they're fine.

Are you Prince Charles in disguise DD?

:D  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
Lettuce

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 18:55
by sloworm
xx
Lettuce

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2007, 02:24
by sclarke624
xx
lettuce?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 10:10
by Aidy
xx
cut and come again lettuce.

Started by MOLUSC on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 13:46
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 38 queries.