cucumber problem

• 22 Replies

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
Re: cucumber problem
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 12:12 »
Hi

Sorry to read about your cucumbers, I had the same problem came up fine and then wilted I think I over watered they had rotted stems, as I know mature plants suffer this. With the mature plants I cut the bottom off a empty plastic bottle .,.. usually tonic, put the neck in the soil and water that way saves the stem rotting.
:D I garden therefore I am

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 16:47 »
Yes keep the stems dry, try putting the container in a tray of water if you've got one big enough and water from underneath.
Also I find they often wilt when they get too much strong sun, especially when still small. Keep them shaded for a while.
Rachael

oldgrunge

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 21:55 »
Up until their final potting, I always water from below. Once in their final position, I fit a half flower pot with it's base removed over the plant. This keeps water away from the stem.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

hanssg

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 00:00 »
well after having started 6 new plants from seed my original 2 plants that I though were goners have now started growing typical. now have 6 plants nowhere to stick them lol.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 08:12 »
That's cucumbers for you hanssg   :lol: 

I've managed to end up with 6 as well  ::)  I've planted them all up, but I know its too many and I'll regret it later this summer  :lol:

lettice

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2016, 11:02 »
I always start mine end of April in the greenhouse.
Do not really have any cucumber failures, I have been growing Burpless for years, they always crop very well for me until early Autumn.
Trying a handful of Marketmore seeds this year too and are all fine, but the plants are half the size of the Burpless at the moment.

But yes you can still sow cucumbers now, probably the last sowing time. Have done so in the past for some extra that i sowed and replanted outside one year. Only as I had a load of spare seeds.

Be careful not to overwater cucumbers, I always just spray mine in the greenhouse when they are starting out, as when they are young plants, they can rot in a puddle of water.

Once they are established, they are pretty robust and can be watered quite normally.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 11:08 by lettice »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2016, 11:24 »
That's cucumbers for you hanssg   :lol: 

I've managed to end up with 6 as well  ::)  I've planted them all up, but I know its too many and I'll regret it later this summer  :lol:

Yep! That's just how it is going round here this year too ll. Last year all the Telegraphs turned up their toes so twice as many seeds and a ridiculous level of care has resulted in three huge plants, three huge Divas and several Marketmores on the plot.

We shall be eating a lot of cucumber fridge pickle methinks!!!  (But I am not complaining --- rather that than none!)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2016, 14:59 »
Mmmmmmm cucumber fridge pickle.  OK I agree, 6 is fine  :D  Actually, 2 are your fault Sunny as they are gerkins from the seeds you gave me.  I know I will be to blame for some of yours though, so it evens out in the end  :)

xx
Cucumber problem

Started by Mudge on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 11:12
by Growster...
xx
Cucumber problem

Started by Dan1957 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 30, 2020, 18:39
by JayG
xx
Cucumber Problem

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 09:03
by simonwatson
xx
Cucumber Problem

Started by arronc on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 09:38
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 39 queries.