Moving carrot seedlings

• 35 Replies

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
Moving carrot seedlings
« on: May 17, 2016, 22:49 »
I posted on the 'what did you do on the plot today' thread that I transferred half my carrot seedlings from a seed tray into a bed yesterday.
I've since been reading about the problems of moving carrot seedlings. Oh dear! Looks like I've made another rookie mistake and am going to end up with some very wonky carrots.
Maybe I shouldn't bother with the other seedlings, but instead sow some seeds straight into the bed instead.
What do you think?

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
Re: Moving carrot seedlings
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 23:01 »
yes go for it there is still time to do this. put down a few drills and thin them out when they come out and ur away

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 07:56 »
You are OK sowing carrots right through to July. The later sowings will not be ready until well into the Autumn but sown now they should romp away.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 09:29 »
And you can always make soup out of the wonky ones if you scrub them well.

I always cover carrots with very fine mesh so that carrot flies cannot lay eggs at the base of the leaves, and then there are no nasty black tunnels in the carrots
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 09:32 »
Okay, that's great to know that I haven't blown it completely. I'll sow some more seeds straight into the bed. (It will be interesting to see what I end up with.)

Many thanks for your replies - much appreciated!

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 18:03 »
When i move my carrots last year some of the root did not go in the hole right and ended up with  U  shaped carrots, this  year i sowed the seed in a tray again but  spaced them out so when ready  just going to scrape out the ground out and just slide the whole lot out of the tray and into scrape out ,, ill see how that pans out,,,
Colin

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 23:46 »
Why on earth do people keep sowing carrots inside and then transplanting them with the same disastrous results. I've yet to see a seed packet or gardening book that suggests you do this. Just read the instructions!

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 06:25 »
 Every one to there own  and conditions  spring to mind,,,,,,,,, :wacko: :nowink:

m1ckz

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 15:33 »
eeewwwwwwwwwwww  lol

hamstergbert

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 19:40 »
Life's too short to transplant a carrot....

Found that sowing them into mpc in the big black plastic flower tubs works well, and as I had said tubs on an old garden table the height of them off the deck seemed to keep the carrot root flies away.

Needed careful watching though as regards staying on top of the watering but came out beautifully clean and quite a good size too.

Only snag - for some a little TOO accessible and liable to pulling en passant, quick swoosh in the water butt and yum yum with no chance of making it to the kitchen.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 20:13 »
Why on earth do people keep sowing carrots inside and then transplanting them with the same disastrous results. I've yet to see a seed packet or gardening book that suggests you do this. Just read the instructions!

Wow! That's a bit harsh... bordering on downright rude, solway cropper. But I'll politely answer your question... This is my first experience of growing veggies and I was impatient - and excited - when I started sowing my seeds into trays indoors in chilly March.
The instructions on the carrot packet did indeed instruct me to 'sow thinly, 1cm deep in drills... etc. I failed to realise that 'drills' refer to sowing outdoors and what you sow in seed trays aren't called 'drills'.
Yes, I know -  stupid, isn't it? After all, why should knowing nothing about gardening be any excuse for not instantly understanding all the new terminology?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 21:28 »

Wow! That's a bit harsh... bordering on downright rude, solway cropper. But I'll politely answer your question... This is my first experience of growing veggies and I was impatient - and excited - when I started sowing my seeds into trays indoors in chilly March.
The instructions on the carrot packet did indeed instruct me to 'sow thinly, 1cm deep in drills... etc. I failed to realise that 'drills' refer to sowing outdoors and what you sow in seed trays aren't called 'drills'.
Yes, I know -  stupid, isn't it? After all, why should knowing nothing about gardening be any excuse for not instantly understanding all the new terminology?

Awww don't worry about it Vagabond, we all had to start somewhere.  I am 65 and still learning new stuff, although I had the basics as my old Dad was a brilliant gardener, but I still make mistakes even now.  We live an learn, and wonky carrots taste just as good as straight ones!   ;) ;)

Eblana

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 22:44 »

Hi Vagabond we had a talk at a gardening group I am in from a gardener from a large market garden enterprise here in Ireland and he showed us how to sow carrots in trays so don't knock yourself even so called experts so carrots this way.

syks grower

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 23:06 »
The round varieties such as rondo transplant well.
I sow in modules and transplant the module without thinning.
I sow them to be ready to be transferred  after an early crops have been cleared.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 12:23 »
It's okay - I'm not in the least worried, upset, or embarrassed about being new to veggie gardening.
My 'yes, stupid isn't it?' comment was my attempt at sarcasm towards the other poster who I thought was being rather bad mannered - and it won't stop me asking 'newbie' questions, nor admitting to 'newbie' mistakes! ;)

xx
Moving Tomato seedlings to the Greenhouse

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 24, 2008, 18:12
by mdueal
xx
Moving tomatoe seedlings to polytunnel

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 16:51
by gavinjconway
xx
Moving tomato and cucumber seedlings to the Greenhouse

Started by OakR on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 17, 2020, 15:16
by OakR
xx
You can't transplant Carrot seedlings (or can you?)

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 30, 2012, 00:00
by Trillium

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 38 queries.