very poorly hen- desperate owner

• 3 Replies

mabethebabe

very poorly hen- desperate owner
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:21 »
Hello I am new to the site & I am looking for some advice urgently. I have 2 hens that are very poorly, Lucy I nearly lost & not sure if she is going to make it. She started with a cough/sneeze so I took her to the vets. By the time we got there she was so stressed she was gurling & coughing, fighting for her breath, eyes closed, unable to stand & her feet were curled. It was so distressing to watch I came out of the vets in floods of tears leaving my husband to cope. The vet wanted to put her to sleep but we knew if we could get her home she might calm down. The vet gave her 2 injections & she is on Baytril.  She has lost so much weight & I have tempted her with yoghurt/cat food/ rice/pasta/porridge etc you name I have tried it. Mabel my other hen despite being on Baytrill for nearly a week is still unwell. She stands about with her neck in, fluffed up has a floppy comb, and is very listless. I have never wormed my girls as I enquired about it from a breeder, he said seeing as I had only 3 & they roamed the garden I shouldn't need to. I am really confused, should I worm them now, it is worms that are making them poorly. They both have watery poo, some of it is green not sure if it's the baytrill. Really need some help as I fear I will loose my girls & would be heartbroken. Want to make a sure I am doing things right. They are ex-bat ladies & are about 2-21/2 yrs old.  Please help

Foxy

Re: very poorly hen- desperate owner
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 10:37 »
They really do sound poorly and may not make it. :(
I wouldn't be concerned at this stage about worming, it wont make any difference.
What I would do is give them some natural probiotic yoghurt and mix with their feed. Add a teaspoon of codliver oil too. Add 50ml apple cider vinegar to a litre of water, this will help with the mucus from the respiratory infection. A crushed clove of garlic in their drinking water is also useful.
I would at the end of the course of baytril ask the vet for Tylan -it is another good antibiotic particulary effective with severe resp infections in chickens. Also, check very, very carefully for any evidence of mites, particulary red mite -this would hinder their recovery, and red mite is very difficult to spot if you have not seen before as they hide in cravasses during the day and come out to feed on the birds during the night.
If she still look to be suffering, I am afraid the kindest thing would be to have them vet put her to sleep, I know it is very hard, it is surprising how quickly we get attached!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 10:47 »
I really hope the do pull through for you !

If they do you should then worm them using flubenvet, you can buy it on line.  Although chickens kept in the garden are at low risk of worms they can pick them up from wild birds and from worms,slugs and snails.

mabethebabe

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 21:23 »
Hello,

I am pleased to say that we have a better afternoon, Have managed to get Mabel & Lucy to eat, my husband has put layer pellets with mixed corn & some grit into ready brek with a little honey and it worked, they have cleared the lot. I have scrubbed the already clean hen house, dusted with louse powder into the crevices, dusted the girls with red mite powder, put cider vinegar& crushed garlic into their water (they don't seem keen on this), fetched some worming powder to start in the morning. I grow chard for my girls as they love this so have hand fed this and had mabel sat in front of the rayburn with the warming oven door open. They do seem a little improved although Mabel is still puffed up with her neck down but has been grazing. Both still have watery poo (greeny/yellow).

I am trying not to get my hopes up but feel I probably already have, and I know we are not out of the woods yet. Many thanks for all your help & support, will keep you posted.

xx
HELP PLEASE I'M DESPERATE

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 06, 2011, 19:44
by Aunt Sally
xx
Desperate for advice

Started by Mrs.Apron on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 12, 2012, 16:16
by Mrs.Apron
xx
Desperate girlies

Started by poppies on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 07:20
by chickenlady
xx
I'm so desperate to have chooks but.......

Started by needssomehelp on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 17:07
by Kathie

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 38 queries.