welsh onions

• 16 Replies

dereklane

• Experienced Member
welsh onions
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 09:28 »
Hi Gobs,

Leeks have round flower heads, with proper seed in , pretty much like onion, the both of those

Yes, leeks do have seed, but towards the end of the year (early to mid october) the head has grown tiny leeks - tubes of greenery - out from the head. You cut the head off, and then separate each bit of green 'hair' (which has a white lump at the base).

Stick each of these in a pot or bowl of water, and within a few days, its started to root. In fact, you can put the whole head in water, and they'll root in together, and you can transplant them with roots on. By planting out time (May-June) each plant is easily the thickness of a pencil (not just the lead).

That's how all the old blokes here on the allotment grow their leeks, and they get enough between them all from just one head. They call them 'pips'. I'd never seen it myself till last year, and tried it with a few spare - they seem to be going nicely. One of them used to show his leeks, so he obviously knows his stuff :)

I just did a quick google and found this on pips/bulbils:
http://www.medwynsofanglesey.co.uk/Articles/991111.htm

cheers,

Derek

gobs

welsh onions
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 09:48 »
I'm with you now. 8)  Leeks and tree onions, :lol: , once a guy thought he was being teased with these growing on elephant garlic, which is a leek hybrid of some sort, they can do to.

I prefer collecting the seeds and am trying to grow open-pollinated stuff of most things.

Muddi, just eat the Welsh ones, when you need them.

I don't know much they self-seed, as I'm not growing those.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

clip
Welsh onions?

Started by maloneranger on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 16:57
by JohnB47
xx
Welsh onions

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 10:59
by flutemaster
xx
welsh onions

Started by muddifoot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 20:22
by corndolly
xx
Welsh Onions (I think)

Started by midwayashmo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 15:10
by Trillium

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 39 queries.