Moving an Apple Tree

• 2 Replies

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
Moving an Apple Tree
« on: July 19, 2017, 16:42 »
Hi there, I have a kensington black apple tree in my garden that I planted when I moved in to my cottage a year ago.
She appears to be doing well and has nearly doubled in size ( she now stands aroug 6.5 ft ).
My issue is (and always has been) forward planning....
Were in rented property at the moment but have started to look for an acre of field to buy so we have somewhere to do some intensive growing and so we can increase our flock of rescue hens... long term plan would be to build a log cabin but thats a whole different ball game......
Back to my question.... the KB has been in the ground for the year, is it to late to move it to a large pot so that when I do move I can take it with me? It may sound stupid but its the first thing myself and the wife planted together and it has sentimental value.....

Any advice appreciated.

Kr

David

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Moving an Apple Tree
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 17:56 »
It is not too late to move your beloved tree to a large pot, just entirely the wrong time in the year, so ......

...wait until the tree has dropped all its leaves in the Autumn and dig it up with as large a root ball as possible, including as much of any deep roots as you can get too.

Plant it in a pot with a four to six inch gap around the rootball at the same level as it was in the ground previously, and fill this gap with a mix of leafmold & topsoil, or MPC if nothing else is available. It will need to begin to grow new feeding roots (the fine ones) which inevitably will have been damaged so do not pack the soil in too tightly. Stake the tree (put the stake in before you back fill) with a stake at 45deg to the trunk, about 50cm up. This is much more effective that a tall, upright stake.

Keep the soil damp but not saturated, and leave the pot somewhere reasonably sheltered where it will not freeze solid over the Winter

In the Spring, the tree will open new leaves, but I would remove any flowers as it may not be able to support fruit development in the year after being moved. Keep it well watered next Summer, but again, not saturated. Best place would be somewhere shaded for part of each day if we have a hot Summer.

Good luck with your future plans too.. all sounds great!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
Re: Moving an Apple Tree
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 18:20 »
It is not too late to move your beloved tree to a large pot, just entirely the wrong time in the year, so ......

...wait until the tree has dropped all its leaves in the Autumn and dig it up with as large a root ball as possible, including as much of any deep roots as you can get too.

Plant it in a pot with a four to six inch gap around the rootball at the same level as it was in the ground previously, and fill this gap with a mix of leafmold & topsoil, or MPC if nothing else is available. It will need to begin to grow new feeding roots (the fine ones) which inevitably will have been damaged so do not pack the soil in too tightly. Stake the tree (put the stake in before you back fill) with a stake at 45deg to the trunk, about 50cm up. This is much more effective that a tall, upright stake.

Keep the soil damp but not saturated, and leave the pot somewhere reasonably sheltered where it will not freeze solid over the Winter

In the Spring, the tree will open new leaves, but I would remove any flowers as it may not be able to support fruit development in the year after being moved. Keep it well watered next Summer, but again, not saturated. Best place would be somewhere shaded for part of each day if we have a hot Summer.

Good luck with your future plans too.. all sounds great!

Thanks for all the great advice :)

Ill make sure I keep everyone updated on my self sufficient life project.... that sounds rubbish.....Lets call it Project Goodlife   :)

_65943434_goodlife.jpg

xx
moving an apple tree???

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 17:47
by Yorkie
xx
Moving an apple tree

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 18, 2010, 23:30
by Aunt Sally
xx
moving apple tree?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 09:59
by 3759allen
xx
Moving an Apple Tree

Started by AndyArch on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 08, 2016, 18:21
by DanielCoffey

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 35 queries.