Blightwatch 2014

• 85 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Blightwatch 2014
« on: May 23, 2014, 09:37 »
Having had a quick look at the Blightwatch map and with an eye on the current damp weather, I thought it worthwhile starting this year's thread.

Blight map here:

http://www.potato.org.uk/fight-against-blight/blight-incidents

As you can see there are confirmed outbreaks in the Warrington and Norwich areas, with suspected cases in the Telford and Peterborough postcode areas.

The forum advice thread is here:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=56717.0
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 10:06 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Jamboian

Smith Period warning in Grim
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 21:04 »
Hello again, more potato related stuff, had a warning of a full Smith Period for our location in Grimsby, just thought my fellow Grimm's might need to know, full period was Thursday and Friday, Cheers, Ian

Growster...

Re: Blightwatch 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 08:37 »
'Near miss' here a day or so ago!

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 16:37 »
Good grief, I haven't even planted the tomatoes outside yet!

m1ckz

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 16:00 »
oh dear   do you think its time to spay yet  or not

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 16:32 »
oh dear   do you think its time to spay yet  or not

Read the forum advice - link given in DD's post...........

Spr0ut

It's here (blight)!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 19:02 »
How miserable - almost every plotholder's potatoes have succumbed to blight.  My seed potatoes were delivered four weeks late so my plants haven't had a chance to grow any good sized potatoes - still marble sized.

So far mine have been missed but I am surrounded by affected plants - only a matter of time.

Anton

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 12:29 »
I'm in Belgium but I noticed some very sorry looking early potatoes yesterday evening (it has been very hot and humid here for the last few days). I was hoping it might be slugs, wishful thinking. The maincrop is still unaffected and still flowering.  I think I will go and spray them. My potatoes have had blight for the last two years but in July so they were a good size and I just cut off the tops and left them in the soil for about three weeks, dug them up and had no problems (eat the last of last year's crop a month ago).

Do you think they will be a decent size if they are still flowering?

Anton

beesrus

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 17:37 »
Sorry to hear of your site's plight Sprout. I'm nextdoor in Devon and down in the far West, blight can come very early, and only serves to demonstrate that people should really really get their potatoes in early down here and take advantage of the relatively frost free climate. Middle of March at the latest in a mild Winter like we have just had. In fact the St Patrick's day thing is probably best every year. That's always my Westcountry advice.
Not a sign of it in Devon and I must say this latest high pressure and weather for the next fortnight almost countrywide is a godsend for first and second earlies, blightwise. Very little to no chance of blight developing down here in these conditions for a good while. I'm surprised you have blight on your site, yet you haven't been affected. Usually it hits like a blanket within a week unless you have some sort of blight resistant variety like Sarpo.
Let us know if it progresses.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 18:08 by beesrus »

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 09:42 »
Some very suspect leaves on my red duke of York

Blight June 13th 2014 2.jpg

AnneB

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 17:33 »
It has landed at our allotment in Bradford.  Nothing near on the blightwatch map although it is in North Yorkshire and Lancashire.  There doesn't seem to be a way of letting them know it is now in a new area.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 17:37 »
Apparently we have it too. Looks like it as the plants have gone over in a matter of days and they look sick sick sick. Mine touch wood are ok so far.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 19:28 »
It has landed at our allotment in Bradford.  Nothing near on the blightwatch map although it is in North Yorkshire and Lancashire.  There doesn't seem to be a way of letting them know it is now in a new area.

These few old posts may help
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=106324.msg1231199#msg1231199

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 20:25 »
I heard it was in driffield,and now this morning fellow plot holder(Bridlington)  said his spuds have it on our site im okay as I have had nearly had most of my spuds up 1st and 2nd just put main in today hope fully will miss the next bout of blight ;)
diggity dig dig

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 10:29 »
Not a sign of it in Devon and I must say this latest high pressure and weather for the next fortnight almost countrywide is a godsend for first and second earlies, blightwise. Very little to no chance of blight developing down here in these conditions for a good while. I'm surprised you have blight on your site, yet you haven't been affected. Usually it hits like a blanket within a week unless you have some sort of blight resistant variety like Sarpo.
No sign of it here either. The spud foliage is huge and looks amazing this year :)

xx
Blightwatch

Started by Pescador on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 30, 2017, 20:18
by JimB
xx
Blightwatch

Started by Plot 1 Problems on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2023, 06:23
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Blightwatch - here we go!

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 13:31
by mumofstig
xx
Blightwatch web pages

Started by polly nator on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 11:54
by DD.

Page created in 0.489 seconds with 40 queries.