shredded paper as bedding?

• 6 Replies

otis pony

• Experienced Member
shredded paper as bedding?
« on: August 22, 2010, 09:36 »
Morning, has anyone ever used the shredded paper from their shredding machines in their henhouse?  I use straw from a local farmer which the girls like to rearrange and pick over, but wondered if there was any reason why I couldn't mix shredding in with it too, or change over completely if I collected from the neighbours? My thoughts being that shredded paper would be cleaner and bug free. :)
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Re: shredded paper as bedding?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 10:36 »
Straw wouldnt be the most suitable of beddings as its not absorbent, also i read that redmite can live in the hollow of each bit of straw :blink:.   I used to use shredded paper with my guinea pigs, hubby used to bring it home from work in massive bags,   in the end i stopped using it as believe it or not it was very dusty,  there are many other alternative choices of beddings that people use and its up to the individual,   shavings are a good choice (dust free), hemcore.   I use Carefresh, which i get out of my local pet shop, i only have 2 nest boxes,      nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Jeanette

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 11:30 »
I tried shredded paper once and it was horrible once it had got wet.

Curlytop

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 13:55 »
I use shredded paper in the nest boxes; I put a couple of handfuls of Aubiose and then shredded paper on top. Once a week I clean them out, I have never had any problems with the eggs staying clean and the Chooks seem to like it. The rest of the coop is covered with Aubiose.

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 14:08 »
We used shredded paper but stopped when we found them eating long paper worms. Probably didn't do any harm... but...
We now use shavings in the nest box and nothing elsewhere inside (it is painted to help cleaning) most of the year. Outside and on the floor in very cold weather we put wood chippings.

bee

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 14:27 »
I used to use shredded paper and had no problems with it all. However, I then acquired a bantam who insists on sleeping in the nest box, therefore pooping: I'd started using hemcore elsewhere in the henhouse and absolutely loved it - a £10 bag lasts months and is so easy to keep clean - and so am now also using that in the nest boxes and it is definitely better for absorbing any liquid and for poo-picking.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 14:31 »
We used to use shredded paper in the nest boxes and on the floor of the house with absolutely no problems. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
Shredded paper for bedding?

Started by Wheelchair Gardener on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 19:48
by Poolfield2
xx
Bedding... Shredded paper..,

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 14:06
by steelman
xx
shredded paper bedding

Started by Newbie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 22:34
by hazelize_uk
xx
Using shredded paper/newspaper as bedding

Started by FCG on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 22:59
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 38 queries.