Chook with bad leg??????

• 24 Replies

rgp5454

Chook with bad leg??????
« on: January 28, 2007, 15:23 »
This is my first post on your site, can anyone give me some advice?
I have a hen, a columbian black tail, who is having problems standing up. She is just over a year old, feeding and drinking well and her droppings are the same as the other chickens.
About 2 weeks ago I noticed she was a bit unsteady on her feet and not roosting on the perches with the other birds, she has got progressivley worst, now struggling to stand.
anybody got any advice other than giving her a knock on the head?
*Any person offended by the content of the above post can be assured it was 100% intentional.
Stop being oversensitive and taking an internet forum too seriously!*

muntjac

Chook with bad leg??????
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 15:30 »
chech her pads under her toes and all round the foot , she may have a tenderness or a forin body in it . flex the toes into a fist from front to back . they can get stretched tendons ie tendnitus, strap with a band aid sheet if it suggests support is needed . swellings on the pad usually indicate an infection it may need the vets attention . if you can see an abcess then lance and dress as for a broken toe .use salty water to clean and dress . use no savlon type creams .. germolene is good for bird and dog antiseptic / biotic . for broken toes pad the toe base with cotton wool and tape up the foot / the bird will hobble for a while but should have no problems after taking tha padding off 2 weeks later
still alive /............

rgp5454

Chook with bad leg??????
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 15:38 »
I have cheked her feet and legs but they seem ok. She is also dropping her wing on the right side, I dont know if it is for balance.
I have been feeding my hens on layer pellet only since I have had them, could this be a problem?
I have been reading your posts on cider vinegar, how much do I use and how often.

muntjac

Chook with bad leg??????
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 15:46 »
2 caps to a pint or 1/2 cup to a gallon
sounds like she been thumped by the others or fallen of her perch, tape the foot up and see how she goes. if she isnt showing signs of being sick then she wil recover is my guess

bramble

Chook with bad leg??????
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 21:32 »
I have a hen who we hatched out and after a hussle hurt her leg,she has hopped about the garden for the past 2 years on one leg.................   and then last month she just started walking on both legs and she is absolutely fine, she is running about so happy, I don't know what happened to her,
so what do you make of that?

muntjac

Chook with bad leg??????
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 21:39 »
probably found out she isnt getting the simpafy vote from the other chucks now lol .incidently you can tie a piece of string to a birds legs and they will attempt to walk sideways instead of forwards for some strange reason . was culling chucks and slipped nooses round the legs ready to neck and hang mobile went off so put the bird down tween my knees she wriigled free n proceeded to do the crab llolo

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
Chook with bad leg??????
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 21:48 »
Hiya

Last year we rescued some battery hens and their legs were very weak. One (daft!!) hen decided to jump off a bench and landed funny. When she tried to walk she just fell sideways and her wing hung down. She was no better later so we took her to the vet, expecting her to be put down.

The vet felt her leg and said she had broken her thigh!! We were all @Oh my GOD!! Will you have to put her down???'.

Vet's reply, 'Nah, keep her in the house for a month, make sure she eats OK and keeps drinking. If she stops, bring her back straight away'.

£28 and one month later she was fine, the stinkly ole thing, purring all the time. Has a rather cute waddle now as she walks now, but she's alive and happy and healthy.
herbiegrowsbananas

muntjac

Chook with bad leg??????
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 21:51 »
with battery birds  its a common problem weak legs they dont have the chance to make muscle due to being confined . extra  protien treats and they usually come on good .  if you have a compost heap dig a few forks of soil out and let them have the werms n grubs ...not on shauns plot tho  :wink:

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
Chook with bad leg??????
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 22:03 »
Hiya

Can hens eat slugs? We fed them loads of cabbage white caterpillars off my cabbages last year, but that Hugh Ferucky-Thingymeegumm off the telly fed his slugs, and I wasn't too sure.

OK to feed slugs or not????

Cheers

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chook with bad leg??????
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 22:05 »
My chooks love slugs  :D

muntjac

Chook with bad leg??????
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 22:08 »
absolutly .like snails to us frenchies .. loverly grub , let em roam ya garden after you harvested everything  or covered what ya wann keep they love all that buggy stuff  :wink:

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
Chook with bad leg??????
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 22:10 »
Thanks xx

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chook with bad leg??????
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 22:12 »
My Gerty eats frogs too...  whole head first  :shock:

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Chook with bad leg??????
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 23:14 »
Be careful with the snails - i read somewhere that they carry some parasite or worm thingy.

Mine love the slugs - better than pellets

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Chook with bad leg??????
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 23:39 »
Ours eat mice too if they get too near!!!

xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
Ill chook

Started by koo on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 10:01
by redmolly
xx
Chook run

Started by denbo73 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2007, 17:23
by Aunt Sally
xx
Ill chook :-(

Started by Carrie99 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 11, 2012, 13:39
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 37 queries.