Poorly chicken

• 8 Replies

sorrel

• Experienced Member
Poorly chicken
« on: January 23, 2007, 13:18 »
I have a light sussex - which as always been a sickly looking bird (never been a good layer) and always has a very pale aneamic comb.  All other birds in flock are happy healthy etc. but this bird always looks ill (often sneezes alot and sits hunched up).  I cant understand it - she eats lots and is very lazy and has been like this for 6 months (not getting worse, but not improving either)....  

Is is possible that she is just a poor bird and will never do much?? or any ideas as to what is wrong with her
Starting from scratch............

muntjac

Poorly chicken
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 13:21 »
its a waster sorrel . happens in humans to , you see a weedy looking kid always snotty nosed, doesnt like doing anything runt of the litter type thing .. me as its a chicken id cull it and bin it  bring another couple young birds in to replace it
still alive /............

sorrel

• Experienced Member
Poorly chicken
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 13:25 »
Yes - thats what i was thinking munty, but as it looks so (well horrible) not sure if it would be still good for the table. .  .  she is only about 10 months old - but always been sickly...  

what do you advise?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Poorly chicken
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 13:34 »
May have some underlying infection there's lots of them - infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma are only a couple of the top of my head.  If its been unwell for such a long time the damage will be done and not likely that you can treat/nurse it back to health and it could be a risk to your other birds.  

The choice is yours of cause - do a muntjac suggests or expensive vet bills with no guarantee of success.  Just depends on you and what the bird means to you  :cry:

sorrel

• Experienced Member
Poorly chicken
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 15:56 »
Thanks Aunt Sally,

If she was ill i think if would have spread to the rest of the flock - she eats loads and drinks etc. , droppings normal - just looks anaemic (not mites, lice or anything - have checked all the usual..  Think Muntjac is right and she's just a poor bird.  

Have about 20 chickens and get very attached to them but i never took to this one from day one, (never seemed quite as it should), keep thinking it might pick up and start laying but been thinking this for 6 months

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Poorly chicken
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 16:17 »
I've just lost another of my battery hens.  That's 5 now since we bought them in September.  I noticed yesterday she was standing hunched up and I said to her, oh are you going to leve us too then?  She was alive this morning, but got back from Spalding lunchtime and went in to collect the eggs, and there she was next to the feeder.  Poor little mite.  Wouldn't eat any of them though, as you never know.....  and the hybrids never have much meat on them, though they should with what they eat!!!!!!

I know the people on the old battery hen forum take theirs to the vet, but we can't afford that for a chicken!!!  Can you imagine takig 46 chooks to the vet surgery?????   Can you give them a check over please vet???? lol

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Poorly chicken
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 16:32 »
It's great if you can give a battery hen a few good months (or longer) at the end of her life.  Its so nice to hear about it grannie :!:  I wish I had the space to be able to.  Only having two birds they have to be fit and healthy (pets) couldn't stand all the introductions and sorting pecking out order too often  :D

muntjac

Poorly chicken
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 17:51 »
grannie annae hon can i ask ya to put some cider vinegar a cup to a gallon for now in thier water drinkers and also wormer. if your hybrids are not putting meat on they have a problem , i wont tell you how to feed them but a good hen should have 4-6 oz of feed daily . i have 180 birds approx and i make up a dustbin full of bran and seed 6 stone ,1344 oz - 7.oz per bird approx and they range as you have seen in the pics for other stuff  all my feed is taken by the end of the day . i only feed once a day no titbits .

Vivian

Poorly chicken
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 18:05 »
Somebody told me that my Welsummers only require 2 oz each a day.  No wonder they shout at me whenever I go near.  I give them more but thought I might be over feeding them.  I will increase their ration from tomorrow poor things.  Good thing they are free range :(
There's always someone worse off than you

xx
Poorly chicken

Started by debih on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 18:35
by debih
xx
Poorly Chicken

Started by Sarah C on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 21:05
by Pretty Chick
xx
Help! Poorly Chicken!

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 06:13
by Very new to chickens!
xx
poorly chicken? please help

Started by ma baker on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 09:58
by ma baker

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 38 queries.