HI THERE EVERYBODY - I JUST BECAME THE NEWBIE........

• 14 Replies

TRACY

« on: January 07, 2007, 22:54 »
Hi everyone - I have just become the newest member of this forum and guess what - I need help.........

On Tuesday we will be the proud owners of 3 hens with chicken coop and run.  I have been looking through all the postings and I just want to check that I am on the right track.  I have bought some laying pellets, some straw and some sawdust.  From what I can see we can also give our newest family members kitchen waste as well?  All this on top of getting an allotment from our local Council that was at its lowest 5' high in grass in weeds.  We have managed to find the soil now and we have it all covered in black plastic to kill all the weeds etc (really looking forward to getting back on there in the Spring to start building raised beds etc...

Anyway, back to the point in question.  Can anyone give me any tips of what I should and should not do with these hens please.  Specifically - are there any must do's or must not do's.  Also, is it safe to handle the hens to make them friendly - bit concerned about whether we could pick anything up from them etc....

Any help or advice would be more than greatfully received.
Tracy x

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 23:03 »
age of hens  is a start tracy . and forget the layers pellets after you have used this lot up get mash and barley / or wheat seed . handle the birds as much as you can picking up and moving around slowly when doing so
gren kitchen waste and fruit are fine no meat no oily fish#
. the straw is fine for the coop

you can go here for a no nonsense approach to keeping hens

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=1688&highlight=sentiment
still alive /............

TRACY

IM THE NEWBIE......
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 23:23 »
Thanks Muntjac - I have just PM'd you.  For information - the hens are 18 weeks old and have'nt started laying yet.....  I did try to get the mash but nowhere around my local area has it and that is why I purchased the laying pellets - the bloke at the suppliers told me to crush them down with a rolling pin!!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 12:41 »
I've always used layers pellet for my two pet hens Tracy.  I think the main objection to pellets by some is expense but at £6 for a sack which lasts me 6 months I don't find it a problem, its a balanced feed containing all the nutrients they need for egg laying.  ( I spend loads more on tins of sweet corn for them - which they love  :roll: )  Don't forget to give them a dish of 'poultry grit' which they can peck up as they want, it is essential for digestion and egg shells.  Have fun  :D

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 12:47 »
and oestra for making egg shells anty sally :wink:  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 12:53 »
Yes, I know me dear.  Got some Shellstim myself but only needed to use it once when the girls shells were a bit thin.

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 13:23 »
ahhh nows me dear i lets em have it when they wants it  :wink:

Barry J Scott

• Beef to Leaf
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 13:30 »
I was going to use layers pellets as I have been told the mash can be wasted a bit.  The only thing is, if I want to give them Diatom, will I need mash to mix that into?

Also do I need to give Diatom all the time or can I do 1 week a month just to keep the parasites out of them?

Thanks.
Baz

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 13:38 »
i dont use it  as its just another expense that is unceccasry . a good hygiene system a good fine burned ash dust bath . ( builders sand can be used  ) vasaline for the scaly legs and  buy apple cider vinegar 5 caps in a pint water and ur sorted ,, im a real frugal person me ,,,,,,  :lol:  :wink:

but if you are into using it then wil assist you
 http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/spr/page12.html

Barry J Scott

• Beef to Leaf
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 13:59 »
I think your right about the price.  I rekon I will need about 2kg of Diatom a month, at £17.50 for 2kg this will add to the cost, although if I buy the 10kg tub at £39 I will make quite a saving.

I think I will use what I have for dusting the perches and nest boxes but not bother with feeding it to them.  When it runs out I will probably just use Barrier red mite powder or poultry shield.

muntjac

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 14:33 »
just a little note on layers pellets . when chickens stop laying they dont need the protien levels in the pellet mix.. sometimes a high as 18% or as low as 12 %in different brands  and what is more they include ash   as much as 25% well ash is just the rubbish that gets mixed in from the farms the seed comes from .usually chaff and other bits of straw  etc . so why waste money on it ?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 15:09 »
I use Diatom to dust nest box and perches, to prevent red mites Barry.  I also add some to their dust bath for any other skin parasites they might pick up.  

I prefer Diatom to Barrier Red Mite powder or Poultry Shield because it is a purely physical insecticide - its sharp crystalline particles abrade the surface of parasite eggs in particular and cause them to dehydrate.  No chemicals involved at all.  And we’ve never had any red mite or lice in the 18 months we’ve had the hens.   I do keep red mite powder "just in case" we get an infestation, but have not needed to use it yet !

I don't feed Diatom though.  I treat for worms (which they have never had either) every 6 months with 'Flubenvet' which doesn't have any egg withdrawal time.  You have to decide what suits you and your feeling about what is best to do and give it a go.  I’ve had no problems with my hens in my [limited] experience and Muntjac has kept hens for so long you can really rely on what he says.

muntjac

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 15:19 »
but i still value your opinion me little anty sally xxx :wink:

Barry J Scott

• Beef to Leaf
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 15:23 »
Thank you for the information.  I think I'll probably keep the louse/mite powder in for emergencies and use diatom but not in the feed.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 15:34 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
but i still value your opinion me little anty sally xxx :wink:
Thank you me deer  :lol:

xx
Hello Newbie here

Started by tanya on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 16:22
by tanya
xx

Started by Suzybat on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 22:03
by Suzybat
xx

Started by mpv1961 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 13:16
by Jeanette
xx
newbie trying to do everything right

Started by davimi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 10:38
by Foxy

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 39 queries.