Potato - too late.

• 14 Replies

scentedstock

Potato - too late.
« on: January 31, 2008, 23:11 »
When is it too late to plant early potatoes ?

gobs

Potato - too late.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 23:14 »
Autumn time is a bit late for them. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

WG.

Potato - too late.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 23:15 »
August.

Even in June/July you'd need a plan to tackle blight

Rob the rake

Re: Potato - too late.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 23:52 »
Quote from: "scentedstock"
When is it too late to plant early potatoes ?

Did you think you'd missed the boat, SS? Usual planting time is March/April depending on the weather.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

WG.

Potato - too late.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 23:56 »
I was assuming that SS was planning a catch-crop after something else was harvested  :D

Rob the rake

Potato - too late.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 23:59 »
Quote from: "WG."
I was assuming that SS was planning a catch-crop after something else was harvested  :D

Just covering all the bases, WG.

zepherine

Potato - too late.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 08:32 »
Actully I was going to ask a similar question  :D
The reason for this is that I have just found out I need a major operation asap and will be out of action for at least 8 weeks . This means that I will not be able to do any work at the plot at all through feb and march at least  :(
I have Anya and Ratte potatoes to plant so was wondering what would be the lastest they could go in?

WG.

Potato - too late.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 08:41 »
April is about as early as you'd plant them anyhow - especially if you have a heavy Essex clay.

Later plantings really need a plan to tackle blight - are you organic or not?

Rob the rake

Potato - too late.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 08:55 »
Quote from: "zepherine"
Actully I was going to ask a similar question  :D
The reason for this is that I have just found out I need a major operation asap and will be out of action for at least 8 weeks . This means that I will not be able to do any work at the plot at all through feb and march at least  :(
I have Anya and Ratte potatoes to plant so was wondering what would be the lastest they could go in?

Good luck with the op, Zepherine. It might be worth providing some sort of cover for your growing area before you go in, to keep the weeds down. Eight weeks is a lot of growing time for a weed!

zepherine

Potato - too late.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 09:42 »
Luckily my soil seems pretty good and not clay ,I understand it was well looked after until a couple of years ago and the whole site has been there many many years -my mum remembers going to the exact same site with her step dad just after the war when she came to Colchester from Withernsea aged 11  :D
I do have carpet covering a couple of beds -carpet was already there covering a few sins but have already managed to dig over and re-cover and the garlic I planted mid december in another bed  is doing really well.
 I did think maybe I could bribe my sons into taking me down there with a chair once im able to get about and let me supervise while they do some work !
If April is not too late then maybe it will be ok  :D  I,m a bit fed up cos I was really looking forward to getting stuck in and it was a bit of a shock to discover I need another op after having a similar one in only June last year...Oh well such is life i guess  :D
Thankyou for the advice.

zepherine

Potato - too late.
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 09:43 »
Oops sorry WG ,yes I am organic  :D

WG.

Potato - too late.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 12:27 »
April, even first week of May at a push, should allow Anya (second early) to finish before the worst of the blight.  Follow WYSIWYGGY to PESTS for an organic blight treatment (I avoid the word cure).

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
Potato - too late.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 22:37 »
Zeph, commercially some growers will plant a second crop of spuds after an early has been harvested.  You may have to accept smaller tubers and the plants will be at higher risk of blight but if you plant late they will grow like stink as the soil will be very warm so you will still get a decent crop.  Problem could be, planting them that late is stopping them chitting and using all the mother tuber reserves so i would put them in the fridge and take out about 3-4 weeks before planting.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

WG.

Potato - too late.
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 22:40 »
I totally agree Cawdor, I was driving at the same thing about the blight.  And, excellent point, do keep seed back when sowing first crop.  Keep in fridge rather than trying to replant newly harvested tubers.

zepherine

Potato - too late.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 23:36 »
Thankyou so much for the advice  :D
I did not know about the fridge idea so will give that a go as well.

xx
Late potato varieties

Started by slingshot2000 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2016, 12:14
by lettice
xx
late potato planting

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 10:49
by gobs
xx
Late getting my potato's harvested

Started by sumitra on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2017, 19:04
by rowlandwells
xx
how late can you plant a maincrop potato?

Started by Jo Loves Veg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 21:54
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 38 queries.