red mites

• 7 Replies

goodegg

red mites
« on: July 26, 2009, 18:24 »
can anyone tell me what red mites look like and can they live on people thanks for any help

poultrygeist

Re: red mites
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 18:37 »
Hi goodegg.

They're tiny, grey before they feed and browny red after. Yes, they can live on people.

I've never seen one but have read about them time and time and time again and am paranoid.

Rob 8)

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 08:18 »
I sprayed some flea spray on the perches in the hen house last week and they swarmed out from the joints.  Tiny dots, some red some grey, some slightly bigger than others.  I have sprayed the hen house and dusted the hens and will do it again this week.  I had been looking with a torch after dark and hadn't managed to spot any so was horrified when I realised we had got them.  I got one in my hair too, YAK, I was scratching for the rest of the day :(
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 08:23 »

mumsy

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 17:17 »
I sprayed some flea spray on the perches in the hen house last week and they swarmed out from the joints.  Tiny dots, some red some grey, some slightly bigger than others.  I have sprayed the hen house and dusted the hens and will do it again this week.  I had been looking with a torch after dark and hadn't managed to spot any so was horrified when I realised we had got them.  I got one in my hair too, YAK, I was scratching for the rest of the day :(

Unfortunately, flea spray probably won't get rid!! You need Milbenex, Cimetrol & Diatom, then poultry shield as a barrier.  Trust me, I have just spent two months getting rid!!!!
They can also live up to 9 months in the ground without feeding!!!!
I would read all the info on the link Aunty has posted!!   Good Luck!

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 21:53 »
Thanks mumsy, I am arming myself with everything I can and treating once a week till they are all dead. 
The flea spray came from a poultry vet, the red mite who swarmed out when I sprayed with it seemed to die, I then plastered the joints with vaseline and sprayed with a red mite treatment and dusted hens.  I am going to do it all again tomorrow but will wash everything down first with diluted jeyes fluid. 
I thought housework was never ending  :(

BarnBrian

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 16:41 »
Still trying to get rid of the mites but my question is how do you get rid of them off yourself, I'm itching just thinking about it.

Brian
There's more to life than increasing its speed.

exbattgordon

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 09:58 »
We have just discovered the extent of our red mite infestation and it's truly horrible! :tongue2: I washed down the whole house yesterday with Jeyes fluid and came out with mites crawling all over me.  This morning I had some itchy bites at the tops of my legs and fear they may be in the house now!  I have several questions, please: where do you get hold of Milbenex (Bowden and Knight don't seem to have an online shop) and how do you deal with the floor of the chicken house - we have sand on the floor, so does it all need to be swept out?  How do you clean the floor and should we replace the sand with something else?  Any help would be most appreciated!  :)

xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
Mites

Started by TonyW on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 19:08
by joyfull
xx
Mites

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 21:38
by joyfull
xx
Help mites

Started by Bantymad on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 01, 2011, 09:52
by kegs

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 39 queries.