Garlic rotted

• 18 Replies

DavidT

Re: Garlic rotted
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 20:23 »
Outside. We will do it together if you wish. I will tell you when I am going to plant mine, and I will guide you through it. :D

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 20:23 »
Livinhope, when did you plant the garlic cloves?

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 20:48 »
Softneck are the ones you normally find in supermarkets as they store best.  Hardneck are best used young and they are probably the ones coming into the supermarket now as fresh green garlic.  Before they are harvested they throw up a flower stalk or rombacole which you should cut off and can use in stir fries.  Last autumn (5 October in Somerset) I planted two bulbs of Solent Wight and one of Picardy Wight (both softneck) and one bulb of hardneck (Aquila Wight).  I had a few Picardy cloves over and planted them in a 10 inch pot which I emptied today and got six (not that big) but perfectly formed bulbs.  I didn't mound the rows on the allotment but they all look fine -  I will find out when I lift them this week.

I agree with Jazz that you have done all the right things re soil preparation and the weather has been really good this season for garlic so you probably have white onion rot.  It's bad news I'm afraid, as you shouldn't grow alliums in the same place for the next few years. 

Livinhope

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 22:16 »
This is getting more intriging by the minute.  When I discovered the garlic had 'gone off' I planted onions in the same place.  No problems and flourishing.  I'm tending to go with the weather theory because it was blooming wet for weeks and if I planted too late for the bulbs to establish that seems the best bet. 

David thanks for the offer I will happily tag along with you as you go through the planting process.

xx
well rotted poultry manure or well rotted horse manure?

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 10:26
by rachelsco
xx
Well rotted manure

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 18, 2006, 20:32
by shaun
xx
Using not so well rotted manure?

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 12:14
by LittleRedHen
xx
potatoes have rotted

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 21:30
by AmandaLouise

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 38 queries.