Homemade pet friendly Rat and Mouse killer

• 48 Replies

chrissie B

Homemade pet friendly Rat and Mouse killer
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2007, 13:28 »
like i said have you tryed mars bars , just a sall bit sqashed onto the prong thing .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

itsallpoo

Re: Homemade pet friendly Rat and Mouse killer
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2014, 14:13 »
Quote from: ziggywigs
Won't this harm the birdies if they eat some of the bicarb as i heard they literally explode if eat anything with bicarb in?
I reckon you are thinking of carbide

Yes birds are unable to fart, pass gas, whatever you want to call it.  Thus the urban legend about feeding alkaseltzer to seagulls (at least it's an urban legend in Florida).  I know dogs can fart, at least mine can put up a cloud, cats too I'm sure.

I've heard rodents can't resist peanut butter, it's like catnip to cats.  Last time I had a rodent problem I put out little tubs of peanut butter with rat poison in it, found em all empty but I have to say I also noticed fewer squirrels so unfortunately I think I got a bunch of them too when I didn't mean to.  I don't mind rodents but they have this annoying habit of chewing on and through things and I'm not thrilled with the idea of one running over my foot in the dark etc.  My dog thinks rats are the greatest thing in the world, he brought me one he caught in the yard last month just like a darned cat..."hey mommy you hungry?"  I could almost hear him saying it.

itsallpoo

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2014, 14:27 »
The key to it working is that rodents like mice and rats cannot vomit/burp and so the CO2 released in the stomach ruptures it.

The only danger is if like us you have a house rabbit in which case it is not pet friendly at all!!!

Exploding rats and mice doesnt sound too pretty to be honest, makes poison sound humane

Mike

Actually from the little I've read rat poison is a nasty way to die too.  Been cases of spouses attempting to off the other with rat poison, it's very nasty and painful and if you don't get to the hospital quick you're going to be laying there with your feet in the air just like the rodent. 

I never thought about rabbits but they are related to rodents too so I can see it but I sort of doubt your bunny is going to frequent the same places the rodents are.  I went outside and cut back the palmettos that they were probably walking on to get in my windows and push past the screen didn't help, the little * was sitting on my curtain rod giving me the mousy finger that night while the dog was losing his mind.  I sort of doubt it's an audible POP more like a very bloated rodent that just sort of keels over.  I wish the hawks across the street would eat more of their fill but the tree canopy is so heavy on my lot I think they're hunting elsewhere we have a few lakes nearby I think they're fishing and hunting there.  I would hate the idea of taking out a raptor getting the damned things.

itsallpoo

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2014, 14:41 »
We have put EVERYTHING we can think of in our traps - the * ignore them.  I've even gone to the lengths of putting bits of date down for a week in advance of putting a trap down, baited with date.  They took the date, oh yes, except when it was on the trap.  They've definitely learned that traps are fatal.

The only success I have had is with home-made pannetone, and even then I think it is because they hadn't yet learned i.e. it was early in autumn.

On the plus side, they don't seem to eat anything or make any mess - no chewed up boxes or nibbles in cupboards, so I'm not really bothered.

They don't bother me much either, I just don't want one running over my foot in the dark or across the bed when I'm asleep. Not to mention I don't want my furniture trashed and the lamps and other stuff tipped over as my insane terrier engages in his hunting instinct to catch the little *.  I very much appreciate my crazy ratter but he wears the fence collar when I think the little * is by the window so the computer and everything else doesn't go crashing to the floor as he roots him out, LOL.

xx
Eco friendly/ Self sufficient

Started by SWhite6124 on Frugal Living

13 Replies
Last post January 01, 2013, 18:53
by thestens
xx
Homemade wormery

Started by the witters on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post February 22, 2011, 15:21
by Dreamer@45
clip
homemade lightbox

Started by jay001 on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2014, 19:14
by gavinjconway
xx
Homemade for Parsnips

Started by iggyboy60 on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 20:04
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.