shallots

• 8 Replies

frazzy

shallots
« on: April 26, 2007, 09:36 »
Yesterday while at out local carboot sale i bought 6 packs of shalots. How late can i plant these, have i wasted my money? there all nice quality and they were realy cheap.
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
shallots
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 10:17 »
I planted some last year in March and had the teeniest most useless fiddly to peel shallots ever. The ones planted in February were much bigger and turned out bigger than some of my onions  :oops: This could have been down to them being B&Q leftovers, though.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

ruffmesiter_69

shallots
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 12:14 »
wow 6 bags thats cool, how much were they bet they were a bargain, we couldnt resist another bag

frazzy

shallots
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 14:10 »
They were 50p per bag and i bought 4 packs but he gave me 2 free ,bargain lol i,ve planted them so fingers crossed .

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Re: shallots
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 18:56 »
Quote from: "frazzy"
Yesterday while at out local carboot sale i bought 6 packs of shalots. How late can i plant these, have i wasted my money? there all nice quality and they were realy cheap.

Please pardon my ignorance - why should there be a problem with shallots planted now :?:   :?  :?:
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

WG.

Re: shallots
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 19:08 »
Quote from: "Jim T"
Quote from: "frazzy"

Please pardon my ignorance - why should there be a problem with shallots planted now :?:   :?  :?:

I'm with you JT, I reckon they'll be fine.

ziggywigs

shallots
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 19:13 »
Well only planted mine two weeks ago and they are growing just fine, they have rooted well and now putting on top growth.  

I would pop them in and see what they do....i find they like the warmer wetter weather at this time of year....great for getting them started.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
shallots
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 18:51 »
I was under the impression that they're a sort of crop that needs a cold spell/long growing season as they crop in June/July.

WG.

shallots
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 19:06 »
Quote from: "Heather_S"
I was under the impression that they're a sort of crop that needs a cold spell/long growing season as they crop in June/July.
Not necessarily.  They'd do better if they are planted earlier, but they'll still do fine.

I did note your earlier comments though.  I wondered if there was perhaps another factor which so affected your crop?

xx
Shallots

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 10:01
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
Shallots

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 15:55
by shokkyy
xx
shallots

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 21:36
by Totty
xx
How Are your shallots

Started by brianbishop on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 08, 2013, 17:41
by JayG

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 35 queries.