How to handle an aggressive cockerel

• 20 Replies

BlackRockLovers

• Cheap horse rugs
How to handle an aggressive cockerel
« on: July 26, 2010, 20:37 »
ive got myself a VERY handsome light sussex cockerel, the problem is he is rather viscous, go to touch him and he doesnt half have a nip, now my girls on the other hand are as soft as they could be bless them, i want to be able to hold my cockerel and move him around without having to box him up all the time. Any tips on how to stop him from pecking and drawing blood as he has been doing ? and to make him a nice cockerel ? hes 16wks

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Re: How to handle an aggressive cockerel
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 20:39 »
Easiest way to make him a nice cockerel is to cover him in bacon and roast with all the trimmings :tongue2:
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

BlackRockLovers

• Cheap horse rugs
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 20:43 »
uYh33DcYmFcfeature=related <--- its a bit liek that :tongue2:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 20:43 »
sadly not all cockerels are nice, I have some that are lovely and a couple who are new to me who keep trying it on. I do the cockerel dance to them just to confuse them and make them think I am the head cockerel (good job I have no close neighbours I must look really silly when doing it  :lol:). It seems to be working slowly whereas one of my guinea fowls is down right vicious and this tact doesn't work with him - no wonder I am his third owner.
Some people dunk their cockerels in a bucket of water again to let them know they are the boss but I have never tried this.
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 20:46 »
after watching the Youtube clip all I can say is the child deserved it - the chicken was only reacting to provocation.

evie2

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 20:59 »
I think we need to see Joyfulls cockerel dance  ;) :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 21:01 »
nobody gets to laugh at me doing that  :lol:

evie2

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 21:27 »
Ahh go on, you know you want too ;) :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 23:05 »
My RIR cockerel Bertie got a bit like that, in fact he still doesn't like my OH, but feeling like a right twit, I tried Joy's little dance, and now he will come up to me and eat from my hand, but first thing in the morning and last thing at night if I try to stroke him, he will try to peck at me because I'm disturbing him when he's really amorous!

But my Brian did cull my Exchequer Leghorn Cockerel a week ago as he was getting really nasty, flying at me through the fence.  But also because he was very rough on his 2 girls.  One of them, even after a week stills runs straight out of the coop when you open it, straight to the other wide of the run and hunkers down ready to be attacked!  Poor little thing.

But I have tried the dunking in a bucket of water with my Appenzellar cockerel.  It worked for a while, but then he'd be back to normal.  So I sold him!

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 01:06 »
Sorry, but there is absolutely no need for agressive cockerals.

If he were mine he would be Sunday lunch.

I have a LS cockerel who is a complete sweetie, but he is turning into a noisy b*gger, and if he isn't careful he'll be lunch next.

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 08:30 »
I think we need to see Joyfulls cockerel dance  ;) :D

If we can't see a video of you Joyful could you describe the dance please. For technical purposes of course! I have a cockerel who only attacks occasionally and this may help. As we had to have the last LS cockerel culled - like Grannie Annie's flying at you at every opportunity and at the fence when anyone passed - I would like to avoid a repeat. He isn't as bad but I am mentally scarred by the last one! :blink: :wacko:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 08:42 »
All I do is mimic their mating dance - I drop one arm right down towards the floor (makes me look like the hunch back of Notre Dam  :lol:), lift the opposite leg and jig sideways towards the cockerel - thus making him think I am a much bigger boy and that he is going to be my next conquest  :lol:. Now you know why I am glad I have no neighbours or a video of me doing this - I must look a right sight  ::)  :lol:.
I have discovered that my two new boys only go for me when I make a rosey noise to them or the girls - much like the noise they make when they are trying to draw a girls attention to a tasty morsel just before they pounce on them - so they really do see me as a threat to their girls. The trouble is with mine is that they have always been kept together so they hunt in a pack so I think 1 may have to go  and I will keep another young boy to replace him.

Sassy

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 13:52 »
I shall have to practice ::) :wacko:

Whilst keeping an ey out for men in white coats with a strait jacket in my size!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

BlackRockLovers

• Cheap horse rugs
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 19:12 »
well recently ive been putting gloves on and touching him all over gettin him used to being handled, he runs like a olympic runner away from me until i corner him and then he pecks at me once or twice then allows me to touch him. got a 2nd coop now and im hoping my girls will brood so i can start getting chicks !

evie2

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 20:08 »
All I do is mimic their mating dance - I drop one arm right down towards the floor (makes me look like the hunch back of Notre Dam  :lol:), lift the opposite leg and jig sideways towards the cockerel - thus making him think I am a much bigger boy and that he is going to be my next conquest  :lol:. Now you know why I am glad I have no neighbours or a video of me doing this - I must look a right sight  ::)  :lol:.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D I've got a stitch and wet cheeks just reading this :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

exclamation
My aggressive cockerel

Started by Sally J Smith on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 17:40
by shetan
xx
Aggressive cockerel

Started by Sassy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 09:50
by Sassy
xx
Aggressive cockerel

Started by Rzlty on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 18, 2008, 14:24
by Vember
xx
Aggressive cockerel advice please

Started by katep on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 11:03
by wildwitchy

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 41 queries.