How buttery do you like your butter to be?

• 30 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
How buttery do you like your butter to be?
« on: March 25, 2014, 09:45 »
I like the relative convenience of 'spreadable' butters compared to the conventional stuff, and usually go for whichever brand is on offer at my local supermarket.

Yesterday it was Lurpak's turn to catch my penny-pinching eye, and with at least 4 different types of spreadable butter in their range it was certainly quite an eyeful!  ::)

'Slightly salted', 'lighter with olive oil', 'lighter', and 'lightest' - wow, no excuse for not finding one to suit!  :unsure:

The ingredients of the "lightest" product are (in descending order) :
Water, Butter (27%), Vegetable Oil (19%), Lactic Culture, Milk Protein, Salt (1%), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate)

It was the same price as the other variants, so at around 50% that's some pretty expensive water you're buying! Needless to say it's not suitable for cooking with, and will also make your toast go soggy.  :ohmy:

I do realise that its appeal is to the calorie-conscious, but until my doctor makes me an 'offer' I can't refuse  ::) I think I'll stick to a product with a bit more actual butter in it!  :lol:

Have you settled on a compromise (or have you abandoned butter altogether?)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: How buttery do you like your butter to be?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:03 »
My compromise is to eat actual butter... just much less of it  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:06 »
I stick to Anchor for my toast and store small quantities out of the fridge so it's spreadable ;)
I also buy the cheapest salted butter for making cakes, because I find margarine seems to alter the mix unless you're making an 'all in together' recipe.

I just try to eat less of all types of fat  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:24 »
I always used to think that Anchor butter must be a bit special as they went to a lot of trouble to import it all the way from New Zealand.

For the last couple of years Anchor butter has actually been made in the UK, although to be honest it's a long time since I remember tasting any brand with a wow factor.  :unsure:

Anyone remember the old TV ad for Stork margarine "Can YOU tell Stork from butter?"

(Answer: you CANNOT be serious!!  ::)  :lol:)

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:30 »
I have both lurpak butter and lurpak spreadable as trying to put real butter on fresh bread can be a challenge in cooler months  :nowink: but like Sunny given the choice - Id rather have less butter then more spread. ( although the lurpak isn't too bad )

gypsy

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 10:47 »
Which ever slightly salted is on offer. We only eat butter on high days and holidays so do not have a fave. We do not have marg or spread, just marmalade on toast and use philly on sandwiches.
Catherine

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:52 »
We were talking about this only a couple of hours ago.

Our butcher sells butter from Maryland Farmhouse, from Shepton Mallet, Somerset, and we both had to agree that it is the best we've ever had!

It's a little pricier, as he's an independent butcher, but it is sooooo special, and we are sparing with it!

Hope this link is allowed..;0)

http://www.barbers.co.uk/butter/page.aspx

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 11:37 »
I have both lurpak butter and lurpak spreadable as trying to put real butter on fresh bread can be a challenge in cooler months  :nowink: but like Sunny given the choice - Id rather have less butter then more spread. ( although the lurpak isn't too bad )

This is what I used to have in the UK...my mouth is watering thinking of it, and also Tesco lightly salted. Over here we can only get unsalted so go for a German butter which OH likes, but  only have on sandwiches. I make salted for me from the cream I skim off the raw milk we get from a neighbour. I have to store it in the freezer till I have enough though as the cows here don't really give cream, not part of the diet here.

So after all that waffle...my favourite is the stuff I make myself! :lol:

grendel

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 12:14 »
You cant beat homemade butter, if we see a quantity of cream going really cheap (last day to sell by) we will buy it up and get busy with the jam jars, just shaking until it separates, lightly salt and then wash through, then out with a couple of wooden spatulas (butter pats) to whack it around to get the last of the whey out, then spread on new bread straight from the oven - yum.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 12:54 »
I never see to see cream reduced like that  :(

chrissie B

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 19:50 »
neither do I , you might get 20, 30pence knocked off but not viable for butter .
some butters seem abit bland I think these days
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

grendel

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 19:52 »
after Christmas you can sometimes pick up half a dozen pots at 20p each (its either that or they run out Christmas eve)
Grendel

Steveharford

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 20:02 »
My first choice has to be real butter (salted) especially on toast. The welsh from lidl is pretty good but I too find it difficult to get one with that old rich buttery taste. A close second and the one I have most is Flora proactivia buttery. Not as good of course but considering it lowers cholesterol (honest guv! ) then I feel happier with it for regular use.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 07:20 »
I like Sainsburys Farmhouse butter, very noice.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 12:52 »
Well we all made the change to vitalite dairy free margarine, we actually used to have that and another product in the fridge but it gets too complex so we all switched to the one.  :D

I expect butter fans out there are rolling their eyes but needs must.

xx
stork with butter

Started by chrissie B on Kitchen Natter

16 Replies
Last post July 06, 2015, 15:19
by chrissie B
xx
peanut butter make or buy?

Started by LILLILEAF on Kitchen Natter

4 Replies
Last post December 13, 2017, 20:16
by Growster...

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 39 queries.